may i offer you an egg in these trying times?

Gordon rolled over in the morning and was startled by an extremely loud snore that was not his own. Looking over the edge of the bed, he saw a helmet-less Benrey curled up on the floor. Gordon sighed and pulled himself up out of bed. Glasses on, phone in hand, side-step around the sleeping Benrey, and into the kitchen. In the middle of cooking scrambled eggs, Benrey poked their head out from around the corner.

"you got food? you got some uh- some little num nums? food for benrey?" they questioned, keeping their eyes glued to the sizzling pan.

"This is food for Gordon, Benrey make- make own food." Gordon said, voice still laced with sleep. There was a small pause as Gordon pulled out a plate for himself.

"mea nyea meh nyea meah gimme egg." Benrey said, moving to take the pan and eat the eggs straight from it. Gordon batted their hand away and gave them a quick death stare before dumping the eggs onto his plate. Holding the plate close to himself, he could feel Benrey staring holes through him as he grabbed a fork and started to eat. Benrey kept staring at him like a dog begging for food.

"Can you fuckin' not?" Gordon asked through a half-mouthful of egg. Benrey quickly averted their eyes, choosing to stare at the empty pan instead. Gordon would've liked to sit down at the table, but something didn't quite sit right with him. Maybe he felt like Benrey would sneak up behind him while he ate and kill him or something. It left a bad taste in his mouth that he'd really rather not pair with eggs.

"If you want some just mix some eggs and milk and dump it in the pan." Gordon said, almost out of pity, but mostly because Benrey's staring contest with the pan was unnerving. Benrey snatched the egg carton hastily and opened it.

"bro... there's only rocks in here... why'd you lie to me.. i just want some egg bro..." they said, a twinge of sadness in their voice.

"You-you crack the egg. That 'rock' is the shell. Just. Crack it?" Gordon explained. "Have you never eaten an egg before?"

"oh ok." and with that, Benrey pulled out an egg and popped the entire thing into their mouth. With a crunch, raw egg began to dribble down their chin as they ate it whole.

Gordon watched with raw confusion and horror as Benrey ate the egg, who making intense eye contact until they swallowed whatever was left.

"What the fuck." was all he could muster.

"bro. that was so good. i'm. i'm eating the rest of these. crunchy bro." was all they could reply with before digging back into the egg carton and shoving another raw egg into their mouth. Gordon abandoned his plate in favor of stopping Benrey from eating all the eggs, a flash of deja-vu from yesterday. Benrey gave up the carton surprisingly easy, but still yoinking a couple more eggs at the last second. They wordlessly shoved those in their mouth too. Gordon rubbed a hand down the side of his face at the sight of the small number of eggs left in the carton. He put them back in the fridge and went to clean up his plate.

"yooo. thanks for the brekky."

Gordon didn't reply. He doesn't exactly know what time it is, but it's still too early for Benrey's antics.

Wait...

The realization that the rest of The Science Team doesn't know that Benrey is alive and in Gordon's house hit him like a truck. He murmured an almost inaudible 'fuck' as he grabbed his phone from the kitchen table. Flicking it open, he quickly created a group-chat with Coomer's and Tommy's numbers, since those were what he had. Typing out a simple 'benrey's back' and closing the app was good enough for him. A crunch sounded from behind him and his instincts told him that Benrey had gotten into the eggs again, but no. They were holding a bad of Cool Ranch Doritos, dust littering their uniform (Gordon didn't even own Doritos).