Across the Stars

Astoria ran to retrieve her shoes. She laughed, kicking a puddle of water on the pavilion. Water sprayed onto Draco's pants, and he couldn't help but smile. She took his arm and let him guide her out of the clearing and they wound through the labyrinth of Parkinson Palace gardens.

She knew her feet were stained green from the grass and would probably hurt later, and her hair was frizzing, and she'd probably end up with a nasty cold for a week, but she didn't care. She felt as if every step were on an endless sky, and that she would soon be flying away from everyone and everything.

When they returned to the palace itself, no one seemed to be paying attention to the ex-groom and the maid of honor's little sister. Everyone, that was, except for said maid of honor.

Upon seeing Astoria again, now that Pansy was consoled and talking to a pureblood gentleman from the Chapman family in Scotland, Daphne Greengrass stormed across the room to where Astoria had entered, linking hands with Draco.

"Tori, what were you thinking?" Daphne demanded, pulling on Astoria's wrists. "You're going to get sick!"

"I'll be fine, Daphne," Astoria said, glancing back to Draco, who suddenly went quite pale himself. "Come on, Draco, tell her I'll be fine!"

"I-"

"And the last thing you need to do is hang around the likes of Draco Malfoy!" Daphne added, a fire in her deep brown eyes. "You ruined our family reputation! I understand you can't possibly fall any further, but Astoria still can! Astoria still has her whole life ahead of her, and you won't take that away!"

Draco stood there, frozen like the marble itself, and almost as white as it, as if he were trying to blend in entirely.

Astoria looked from Daphne to Draco.

"No, please, Daphne, it'll be fine, I'll rest a bit, and I'll be okay, there's no need to yell," Astoria protested.

"Come on, Tori, I'll look after you," Daphne snapped, tugging at Astoria's wrist until it hurt, yanking her back to her room.

By the time they'd returned to their suite, Daphne practically threw Astoria into the room. Astoria stumbled and fell onto the carpet as Daphne slammed the door behind the two of them.

"Come on," Daphne said, after a huge, irritated sigh. "Let's get you out of those wet clothes."

Within a few minutes, Astoria was lying in her bed, wearing the warmest nightgown she had packed, and with food on the bedside table, courtesy of the house-elves. Once this had all been arranged, Daphne checked her own witch's watch.

"I've got to go join Pansy, you stay here, take it easy, you understand?" Daphne said. "I'll check on you in about an hour. Okay?"

"Okay," Astoria said. She had to admit that she did feel a bit under the weather already. Yet another reason to hate her blood curse— it made what felt like the most romantic moment of her life into a reason for more sickness and illness.

And what Daphne said was true, about Draco being at his lowest. Leaving Pansy at the altar, no matter how much Astoria disliked her, was still cold. And he was still a Death Eater during the war— that was further than most got.

Yet still, she'd made the decision in the garden— she would love him, damn the consequences.

A knock came at the door, distracting Astoria from her thoughts. She glanced at the watch she'd received from her mother. It had barely been five minutes— it couldn't be Daphne, could it?

The knock came again, more persistent.

"Come in," Astoria announced.

In walked Draco, looking extremely pale and apologetic. "Are you alright?"

"I'll be fine," Astoria assured him with a smile, sitting up more. She patted a spot on the bed next to her. "Come sit."

Draco hesitated a moment before obeying. He sat at Astoria's bedside, limbs hanging out awkwardly like an old cloth pixie doll Astoria had as a child.

"So, how are you liking your new freedom?" Astoria asked.

A small smile made his features look more lively, less like the marble and the ivory.

"I'm looking forward to it, honestly," Draco said. "I have new promises to make and things to learn and do. . ."

"I think we ought to wait until I'm out of school to make it all serious— for good, I mean," Astoria said, a little businesslike. "I know I'm seventeen now and I can make my own choices, but I don't want you to feel tied to me."

Like you did to Pansy.

"I guess I can agree to that," Draco said.

"You want more?" Astoria wasn't sure what to think. She should've been the last thing Draco Malfoy wanted, young, muggle-loving, and frail despite every attempt not to be.

"No," Draco said. "Not right now. I just. . . I still don't know all that I want, Astoria."

"Well, what do you want right now?" Astoria asked.

"A strong cup of tea," Draco admitted.

"Teensy!" Astoria called.

A house-elf with a pretty and neat napkin toga appeared. Draco flinched at the sight of the house-elf.

"Yes, Miss Greengrass?" Teensy asked.

"Could I please have another mug of this tea for my friend?" Astoria asked, raising her own steaming cup. "It's amazing."

"Teensy would be honored, Miss Greengrass," Teensy squeaked.

With a sharp snap Teensy disappeared.

"Why are you so nice to them?" Draco asked.

Astoria shrugged. "I see no reason to harm somebody who's always trying to help. I don't understand people who aren't nice to their house-elves. It's like kicking a kitten or a baby owl."

Draco frowned as if considering this idea for the first time.

Before either could speak, Teensy reappeared, looking quite pleased.

"One mug of tea for Mr. Malfoy," Teensy said, handing it to Draco. He received it with awkward, spindly hands, but it also colored his pale hands with life.

Astoria took a sip of the tea once more. "Thank you so much, Teensy."

"You are welcome, miss," Teensy said, before disappearing once more.

The two lovers sat as the rain fell around the palace, enjoying their tea and each other's company. It was only too bad when an hour later, Daphne Greengrass stormed in.

"You!" Daphne shouted, as she flung the door open to see Draco Malfoy.

"I can explain," Draco began, setting the empty mug, but Daphne was too angry, and she picked up a decorative statuette and flung it at Draco, just barely missing him.

"Daffy, no!" Astoria cried, struggling to get out of her roll of blankets and pillows Daphne had tucked her into so tightly.

"Get out!" Daphne shrieked. "Do I have to defend my sister's honor all by myself! Get out now!"

Draco didn't need to be told again. He scurried out, without another glance Astoria's way. By the time she had broken free of her blanket restraints, Draco was long gone.

"Wait!" Astoria cried before accidentally stepping on a shard of a statuette. She tripped and fell, resulting in more cuts from shrapnel.

"Oh Merlin, hold on, I'm so sorry!" Daphne cried as she knelt to her sister's side.