✰ chapter nine

Despite the talent show being over, you're still scheduled to have band rehearsals almost immediately after the show. You're not really sure why.

You don't return Rodrick's calls, but head over to the Heffleys' like normal. Susan opens the door with an excited smile and a "(Y/N), it's so good to see you!"

She pulls you into a quick hug. Her perfume lingers; you don't mind the scent. "Rodrick and Ben are in the kitchen. Last I heard, they're planning out their Halloween costumes."

She says it conspiratorially, like it's a fun little secret she's letting you in on, and you can't help but smile.

Your smile drops when you walk into the kitchen, though. Ben and Rodrick are sitting at the kitchen table, poring over what looks to be a collage of newspaper and magazine clippings, as well as a few crudely-drawn stick figures in what appear to be pirates' garb.

You clear your throat. "Did you steal Greg's crayons to make that?"

"I heard that! And I don't use crayons! Not anymore!" Greg calls from the living room.

Ben looks up, startled, face red already. It's like he knows what's coming.

"Hey, (Y/N)," he says cautiously. "How was your weekend?"

You pull out a chair across from the two of them and slide into it. "I actually heard the funniest thing," you begin, your voice bright and cheery. The words are meant to come out bitter, but instead they're sickly-sweet like bubblegum on your tongue.

Rodrick won't make eye contact with you. His face is almost redder than Ben's, a feat you didn't think was possible.

"So which one of you two was gonna tell me we didn't actually win the talent show?"

Ben winces, throwing his hands up in surrender. "It was Rodrick's idea!"

Rodrick gapes at him. "Way to throw me under the bus, dude."

Ben shrugs innocently at him.

You groan. "Drop the act, both of you. What the hell?"

"It really was Rodrick's idea," Ben repeats. "That part was true."

You snort. "It doesn't matter whose idea it was. Why did either of you think lying to me about winning the talent show was a good idea? What could you have possibly gained from that?"

"We did it to help you!" Rodrick protests. You give him a blunt look.

"On what planet would lying to me help me?"

"We knew we weren't going to win. Come on, (Y/N), be realistic," Ben cuts in. "It was just supposed to trick you until we could come up with the money. You weren't supposed to know! Rodrick told me about your..." he trails off, looking for the right words, face screwed up uncomfortably. "Situation."

"We thought it would help!" Rodrick adds. "It wasn't supposed to be a big deal. Really."

You look between the two of them, floored. "Wait," you begin hesitantly. "What did you mean? You knew we weren't going to win?"

Ben chuckles awkwardly, eyes wide like a deer in the headlights, looking between you and Rodrick.

Rodrick looks just as embarrassed. "Well, you did fuck up on stage," he points out bluntly.

You feel your face heating up. "I was nervous! And I've only been playing for three months! Forgive me for not being the most talented bass player on the fucking planet, dude."

Rodrick recoils like you've hit him. "Whoa, (Y/N), calm down," he mumbles, putting his hands out like he's soothing a wild animal. "It's not a big deal! Really!"