𝚂𝚑𝚘𝚠 𝚂𝚝𝚘𝚙𝚙𝚎𝚛

I opened the side door to the theatre and entered the cluttered prop room. I walked up the stairs by the door and onto the stage to find Medda with a younger girl at the piano. "That note is an A let's try it again." she instructed sweetly. I walked over to the girl at the piano. Her dress was nice and clean, her hair pinned up nicely accented with a bow. By the looks of it, I'd say she was rich.
Great...this'll be fun.
I had bad luck with rich people. They never seemed to like me no matter how sweet they were to others, it was always just me. Medda was the only rich person I've ever met that hasn't been a total snob. And their children are worse, but it lets me have some fun. "That's a great song." I piped up a kind smile painted on my face. Medda looked over at me and the girl stopped playing. "Hello Cuori! Are you excited for tonight?" I nodded "How would you know I doubt you can even read this." The girl snapped wrinkling up her nose. Medda gave me a look of warning and sympathy. I just gave her one of confidence back. "Oh I can read that. It's fairly easy!" I smiled sweetly even though I wanted to slap this girl into tomorrow. "I'd like to see you try." she rolled her eyes. "Well, you're taking up the whole bench with all those ruffles so, if you would move...." I pointed out, casually shrugging. The girl scoffed but moved over anyway. I sat down at the bench and started playing my fingers flying over the keys as the sweet melody filled the theatre. When I was done I got up from the bench, the girl looking over at me opening and closing her mouth like a fish. Medda had a pleased smile on her face. "If you will excuse me, I have to take my inexperienced self and go get ready for my performance tonight." I quipped leaving the girl at a loss for words as I walked off the stage and back to my dressing room. I acted confident out there, like her words didn't affect me, but they did. They stung and it lessened my confidence. As I entered my dressing room all I could think of was if I failed. I sighed as I took off my street clothes and slipped into the beautiful dress, thinking about Spot, Albert, and Race the whole time. A goofy smile appeared on my face, they all seemed to know how to cheer me up right away. Their reactions gave me a slight boost of confidence for tonight I just hope it would be enough. I placed a towel around my neck covering part of the dress as I washed my face getting all the dirt and grime off. Medda walked into the room a pair of silver  heals in her hands that matched the lace design on the dress. I put on the heals and sat down at the vanity letting Medda tangle with the mess that is my hair. Somehow she managed to pin it up in a very fancy style and pin some flowers in the braid.

I smiled to myslef in the mirror turning my head slightly to the side to see the rest of the hairstyle

I smiled to myslef in the mirror turning my head slightly to the side to see the rest of the hairstyle. Medda put light makeup on my face and I was ready to perform.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
I took a deep breath looking in the full length mirror. The newsies had started to file into the house and take their seats. "Cuori sweetie there is someone here to see you." Medda informed me from outside the door. "They can come in." I called back. The door opened to reveal Ace and Clubs both looking cleaned up and nice. They stopped and stared at me mouths agape. "Well," I brushed my dress a bit "how do I look?" "You look-" Clubs started. "Just-" Ace tried. "Beautiful." They said together. I laughed "You're too kind." I said smiling. "Ok that's illegal." Ace declared crossing his arms. I cocked an eyebrow "What's illegal?" "There's no way youse can look that good." Clubs added copying Ace's stance. Ace turned and poked his head out the door "She can't go on like dis Medda. Too pretty." He ordered. "You two are ridiculous!" I laughed out. "So we've been told." Clubs said with a shrug. "We wanted to wish you good luck 'cause we new none of dem nitwits," he jabbed his thumb out the door obviously referring to the other newsies, "would." Clubs told me. "Thanks guys." Just then a voice rang out through the hallway. "Make way for the bestest of friends!" Race announced in a mock elegant voice. I giggled a bit covering my mouth discreetly with part of my hand. Clubs and Ace rolled their eyes but moved aside for Race and Albert anyway. "Come ti senti?" Race asked giving me a hug. "Nervosa." I replied. He squeezed me tighter "Farai alla grande." I squeezed back and smiled. "Uh, did we miss somethin'?" Ace questioned. "It's Italian. They do it all the time." Albert deadpanned. "And it's starting to get a bit annoying." he finished through gritted teeth. "Beh, da molto tempo sei stato fastidioso...." Race mumbled. I let out a laugh before clapping my hand over my mouth trying to stifle it but the initial burst was loud. "What? What did he say?" Albert questioned looking between the two of us. "Nothing. Now shoo! The show is gonna start soon." I said kicking the four boys out of the dressing room.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
I took deep breaths as Jack addressed the boys in the theatre. I didn't even listen to what he was saying, I was too busy internally screaming. "Any scabber I see I soak em. Period." I heard Spot declare. Somehow his confidence gave me confidence. But I was still freaking out. Medda came up to me. "You ready?" She asked "I don't think I can do this." I said peeking out of the curtain to get a glimpse at the audience. The theatre was packed full of newsboys. "I can't do this." I said turning back to her. "Yes you can. Think about all those boys waiting for you to perform. Elizabeth," she grabbed my shoulders turning me towards her. "you can do this." I nodded taking another deep breath. I could see the house lights dim from under the curtains and the newsies all got quiet. With one last reassuring nod from Medda the curtains opened. Once the newsies realized I was standing on the stage the cheers came. Very loud and very happy. I smiled at the boys as the piano started playing. I opened my mouth and started to sing.
Some people long for a life that is simple and planned
Tied with a ribbon
Some people won't sail the sea 'cause they're safer on land
To follow what's written
But I'd follow you to the great unknown
Off to a world we call our own
My voice was shaky at first but by the third line it was strong and confident.
Hand in my hand and we promised to never let go
We're walking the tightrope
I pretended to be balancing on an invisible beam as I walked a bit to stage left. Making eye contact with David who was over on that side.
High in the sky
We can see the whole world down below
We're walking the tightrope
I jumped onto the prop park bench we had placed on the stage. Switching my gaze to Skittery.
Never sure, never know how far we could fall
But it's all an adventure
That comes with a breathtaking view
Walking the tightrope
I switched my gaze to no one in particular but the boys would definitely fight over who I was looking at now, later.
With you, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh
With you
I hoped back down off of the bench and towards center stage.
Mountains and valleys, and all that will come in between
Desert and ocean
You pulled me in and together we're lost in a dream
Always in motion
So I risk it all just to be with you
And I risk it all for this life we choose
I made hand motions for that verse. The last line I reached out into the audience showing a longing. Just like you rehearsed Liz, keep calm. I walked down the stage stairs and made my way over to Spot. Pick the one lucky newsie for this part. Medda had said with a mischievous smile. I grabbed Spots hand and continued singing.
Hand in my hand and you promised to never let go
We're walking the tightrope
High in the sky
We can see the whole world down below
We're walking the tightrope
I shifted my gaze from our hands to his eyes smiling.
Never sure, will you catch me if I should fall?
Well, it's all an adventure
That comes with a breathtaking view
Walking the tightrope
I let my hand linger as I walked away back onto the stage.
With you, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh
With you
With you, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh
With you, ooh-ooh-ooh
With you
I exited the stage as the newsies went wild. Smiling fondly to myself. Nothing could ruin this night for me. Nothing.

Spots POV (ooooooo spicy)
Cuori walked down the stage singing. Her voice sweet and angelic leaving all of us at a loss for words. She came over to me taking my hand in hers as she continued to sing. The moment was over all too soon as she walked back up onto the stage finishing the song and exiting. The newsies went wild cheering for Cuori. Ace and Clubs patted my back as I just stared, a stupid smile on my face. "Ya got 'er Spot!" Ace told me. "Yeah. I think I do." I breathed out. Normally I was tough, quick witted, a badass to sum it up. But when I was around Cuori it all changed, every little bit of me melted into a big puddle of love on the floor. Love. That was a word I never used, it was hard to think of and hard to express or feel. But I felt it around her. There was a short break as Medda prepared her next song. Cuori came down the few little stairs in the corner of the room that led to the backstage. All of the newsies cheered again Race and Albert ran up to her giving her a hug. Race asked her something a mischievous smirk on his face. Cuori rolled her eyes and looked over at me. I smiled at her through the crowd of newsies before I couldn't contain myself anymore. I took off through the crowd and wrapped my arms around her in a big hug. Picking her up and twirling her in the air as she laughed. I loved her laugh I could hear that non stop for the rest of my life and never get tired of it. "That was amazing!" I exclaimed, finally finding some words to use. "I'm glad you thought so." She looked so beautiful. One day I was going to buy her a fancy dress of her own wether it's a friendship gift or an anniversary gift, I was going to get her one. She looked up at me with beautiful brown eyes as Medda entered the stage.
High times, hard times
Sometimes the livin' is sweet
And sometimes there's nothing to eat
But I always land on my feet
Skittery came over to the two of us. "Mind if I steal the lady from ya Spot?" he asked timidly. I twirled Cuori in Skittery's direction. He gave me a smile and continued to dance with Cuori as I walked back to my table with David and sat down, laughing at Ace and Clubs who were doing a goofy make-shift waltz. David suddenly smacked my arm staring at the door to the theatre. I followed his gaze and saw the last man I wanted to see tonight. Snyder. "Get Cuori our of here, now!" He ordered. I shot up running over to Ace, Davey made his way over to Jack. "Snyd-" I started but was cut off "I know. Get Cuori out, don't worry about us." I hesitated but soon ran over to Cuori. "We have to go. Now. It's Snyder." I said grabbing her hand. Terror replaced her once happy expression as she ran through the crowd with me. We were about to enter backstage when the bulls whistle rang out through the theatre. "In here!" I yanked Cuori into a closet right as a heard of bulls passed. I busted back out of the closet and sprinted through the theatre. All of the sudden I heard a loud rip and Cuori went tumbling to the ground. Part of her dress was torn off. "Ouch!" she hissed in pain. "Spot! My ankle!" I rushed over to her picking her up bridal style and rushing out of the theatre with her. We ran around to the front of the theatre only to see Jack's unconscious form being carried out by multiple bulls. "Jack! Jack- Spot let me go!" she begged. "You can't! I cant loose you to does bulls!" "Jack!" she called out once more before burying her head in my chest and sobbing. I just kept on running.

A/N uuuummmm.....I've been waiting for this chapter since I started the book so I got a bit carried away...... 2190 words. Also shdjsjsnsn 40 FRIGGIN READS OMG THANK YOU!!!