Chapter 1: Klyn

"Zita Krejicova. Age 20. Home planet Xandar.  Both parents died six years ago. But it says her mother died of an infection after the events the city suffered. The father died in the strike. Her Grandmother is a Nova Core leader, and her two brothers are both in the Core."

The girl on the opposite side of the wall glowered at the man. She wished she didn't have ears at this point. It was hard enough here on Klyn. What happened was an accident. 

"Get her a uniform. She'll be in cell 28-X. Make sure..." 

"Make sure what? Make sure I don't have a weapon on me, so I don't accidentally kill you too?" He was starting to make her very disgruntled. Nobody would listen to her 'childish' pleas of redemption for the unspeakable crimes she'd just committed. They all thought she was like the people here on this planet. An impetuous murder, like all the rest. "I never meant to hurt anyone I swear. I was just doing my job." Wait for it...

"Your job is to help people... not kill them.'' I didn't understand. What went wrong? How did my remedy go sideways? If only I'd have paid more attention, then maybe this wouldn't have happened. As Zita questioned herself, the cell door opened, and three men stepped in. One was carrying cuffs, and the other two had blasters in their hands. She didn't want to make it harder than it needed to be, so she willfully put her hands in front of her tall, thin body. If she were to prove her innocence, complying with the guards was her best hope. Maybe if they saw me from a different perspective than the rest of the prisoners, they could let me have one more chance. But a voice inside me said it was too late for that. 

Her cell was much smaller than she had imagined. She had inevitably ended up with a roommate. She looked almost happy to be here. She looked a lot like Zita herself. Very tall, skinny, and stunning eyes. But most Xandarians have strangely colored eyes anyway. Zita's were purple while her cellmates' were orange. The guards with blasters held them at the girl while the other one un-cuffed Zita's wrists. They left the room in what seemed like a hurry. The girl on the opposite side of the room yelled, "Yeah, run away you candy-asses!", I giggled at that and slunk into the seat. Guess she wasn't one for variety here.

"What got you here eh?"

"I don't want to discuss that part. And for the record, it wasn't my fault."

"Whatever. You'll spill one day. But in the meantime, let's try to be at a minimum, acquaintances. So to be original, what's your name?"

"Zita. My parents were never the exquisite type. They named my brothers after the founders of a Xandarian food dish."

"Ouch. My mom was named after some chic from Chandillar."

Now I remember learning this a long time ago. But like any normal person, I forgot.

"You don't know do you?"

"Well I know it starts with an-"

"Lilandra"

"-L."

"I didn't want you to work so hard your brain would explode." Well, thanks for letting me guess I add silently.

As I look out across the prison cell, I wonder why I ended up here one last time, before turning over and closing my eyes for the night. At least, I think it's night. Though I'm sure getting jet lack here is usual.

* * *

I woke up to the sound, or more accurately, a cacophony of noises throughout the prison. I turned over to see Cora missing and the cell door open. "Wait.. wha-"

"Hey! You!" I turn around for what seemed like ages until I found where the sound was coming from. Down the hallway, a huge green elf-thing is yelling at me. I think they are called Skrulls.

"If you don't hurry up, you'll end up half-starved to death. So I suggest you move quickly." I tilted my head to one side. "Why?"

He just looked utterly annoyed and bewildered at this point. "What do you mean 'why'? There won't be another time until tomorrow to eat... don't you know that?"

"Well, I just got here so, no. I clearly wouldn't know that. How come I was never informed?"

"It's very simple if you do the math."

"But what if you're dumb and don't know math?"

"Oh, then you won't have to worry. You'll fit in just fine." That's just spectacular.

He turned and left with me listlessly walking behind.

The cafeteria was pretty big if I'm being honest. From all that I've heard about this place, I would have guessed it was as big as a closet. Further across the room, I tried to spot Cora. But she was nowhere to my knowledge now.

"Now just go over there," He pointed to a small section towards the back. "And just grab what you can salvage."

Zita cautiously walked over to the huge tray area and picked up a three-cupped object. Guess this is what we're supposed to eat. It looks like vomit.

"Hey green man, I think someone already ate this..."

"That's all we got. So suck it up or starve."

We're gonna be besties. I can tell.

I sit at what feels like the sever losers table and just stare at the green mush stuff. I think I'll just choose the second option.

"Are you gonna eat that? If not, I will gladly take it off your hands."

Someone next to me asks.

"Go right ahead."

"Thanks..." She lunges for the cups and gulps it down in what seems like seconds. Milliseconds for that matter. All of a sudden someone hits my back so hard I think my spine just broke. "Look who finally showed up"

Over her shoulder, Cora stares at her with mischieve in her gaze.

"Thanks for waking me up and probably breaking my back."

"Anytime."

"Where were you when I got here?" I slightly wince at the pain I feel in my back. I imagine she can do much more damage if she wanted too.

She sits down in front of me and just shrugs it off like no big deal.

"Just settling some business with some guy across the hall. No bicky."

I let my eyes wander around a bit longer and stare at the tower in the middle. It looked like something was there before but definitely isn't here now.

"If you're wondering what happened to the control center, it was seized like six years ago. Those pitiful little men tried to apprehend the criminals but failed miserably. One was a human, the other one was a talking rodent with a tree for a sidekick. There was also some chic that worked for Ronin there and the last was Drax the Destroyer. He was practically famous here for having killed hundreds of Ronin's followers. But they managed to escape this godforsaken place. And one day, I'll be able to do the same. But I just need to find a ship. Cause if you don't have a ship, then you'll suffocate out there. "

I had stopped listening after she said, his, name.