Bad Day

Valentine's Day. It was every florist's nightmare—yours included. The overflowing traffic inside the shop made it nearly impossible for you to even form a coherent thought, and the picky customers only added to the stress throughout the day. After eight hours of never-ending lines, you were more than ready to clock out.

You made sure to grab your specially ordered bouquet from the back of the stock room before leaving. The work day may have been draining, but you were suddenly growing more enthused, as the night was only beginning. You couldn't wait to get started on the movie marathon you had planned with your fiancé, who got off an hour before you and would surely be waiting for you at home.

When it came to Valentine's Day, you always tried to change it up a little bit, just to keep things exciting. Chris always followed suit, having planned a relaxing getaway one year, and fixing up a homemade chocolate fondue another year. Last year, you received the biggest surprise of your life when he popped the question during a walk in the park, making it one of the best days of your life. Since this year marked an anniversary for you, you wanted nothing more than to go home and have your man all to yourself. You also wanted to give him something heartfelt; something truly special.

That was where the flowers came in. Despite working as a florist for the last decade, and being a couple for half that time, you'd never thought to get him flowers as a gift until this time around. As stereotypical as it seemed, you knew that roses were his favorite—he always favored your rose scented perfume over the others—and you knew the best floral designer to help put together the perfect arrangement. Still, you worried whether or not he would like them, but you figured he would at least appreciate the thought.

You had the roses ready to go and the number for the Chinese restaurant already pulled up on your phone as you scrambled between the herd of people onto the subway. The car seemed surprisingly vacant, and you sat yourself in the nearest open seat. You set your flowers beside you as you held your phone to your ear and placed your order.

"Thank you so much, I'll be there in fifteen minutes," You spoke into the device, promptly hanging up afterwards.

You then allowed yourself to decompress for a little bit as you gazed out the window. You tried to ignore the soreness you felt in your body from the hard day's work, but it took almost everything in you not to fall asleep there on the bench. You were completely lost in thought when you suddenly noticed the train gradually decrease in speed, ultimately coming to a halt in the middle of the route. The other passengers exchanged confused glances with one another, murmuring questions back and forth.

What the...?

It was clear that the train had stalled. It happened occasionally; you'd encountered it once before, but you felt your stomach drop in disappointment over the fact that you were now going to be late for movie night.

The music coming from the speakers went quiet and was soon replaced with an announcement from the conductor.

"Ladies and gentleman, may I have your attention. We are currently experiencing some mechanical issues at the front car, but we hope to be mobile again very soon. Please stay calm and remain seated until further notice."

You rolled your eyes in response and whipped your phone out of your pocket. You aggressively typed out a text to your fiancé:

Train broke down. Sorry for the delay, be home as soon as I can.

You knew he wouldn't mind, but you couldn't help feel the frustration rising. After the day you'd had, being stuck on the subway really had you on edge.