Chapter 1: The SHADOW I Never Saw Coming

Beep! Beep! Beep!

The earpiece in Skye's right ear rang with a red light. Skye turned it off, sat on her motorboat at the Shark, and drove to The Agency, the location where GHOST spies gathered when trouble arose.

Jules, Meowscles, Tntina, and Brutus were already seated at the table in the meeting room with Midas seated at the front of the table being the leader of GHOST. Skye quickly took her seat.

Midas spoke, "Alright guys. There's a group of people I suspect may be trying to bring harm to this island. They seem to be creating some sort of chemical fluid. Investigate this group, figure out their plans, and report back to me. Also, if anybody has any advice--"

"What are you going to do about that?" Brutus interrupted.

"What do you mean?" Midas replied.

"Well, it never looks like you do any work."

"I'm going to be investigating as well and I'm always on the lookout for such problems as these. Sorry if it seemed like I was ordering you guys. But this is a matter of great urgency and importance. Everybody needs to help out."

"I don't like it. I don't like you ordering us around. I'm leaving."

"What?"

"That's right. And whoever wants to come can join me. As Team SHADOW. We will have a different set of ideals. Nobody will be ordered around. Everybody will have an equal voice."

"I don't understand. Your voices are heard. What are you saying? You're not making any sense."

"Yeah. What do you mean, Brutus? Midas is a great leader. In fact, he always asks for our opinions. Just like today before you interrupted him." Skye interjected the heavy conversation.

"You know what? I agree with you, Brutus. I'll join you!" Tntina exclaimed.

"Meow!" Meowscles, the cat, meowed as if to say 'me too'.

"Great. We're leaving. Bye." Brutus said as he, Meowscles, and Tntina left the Agency.

"What just happened?!" Jules shouted.

"Sigh....I don't even know. I feel bad that they felt that way. I never even realized. Maybe I wasn't a good leader."

"You're wrong! You inspire me. And you're not just a good leader, but you're also such a nice person. When I was all alone sulking because I had nobody left, you came and helped me." Skye said.

"Yeah! Don't worry. I don't know what's gotten into them, but you did nothing wrong. You're great." Jules went up behind him and wrapped her hands around him.

"Hehe! You guys are so cute!" Skye giggled.

"Whaa..." Jules blushed.

"Anyways. The investigation! I'm on it!" Skye rushed out of the room.

"Hopefully Team SHADOW is able to help out too. After all, we have the same goals." Midas spoke to Jules.

"Of course! Don't lose faith in them. We'll get them to explain exactly what's wrong and why they're acting like this. We'll bring them back!"

"Yeah. Thanks." Midas smiled at Jules who was now sitting next to him and caressed her hair.

Jules's heart started beating fast and she wished these small moments with him would never end.

The next day came before they knew it and Midas called Jules to the kitchen at the Agency. The Agency had many rooms: a kitchen, a living room, bedrooms, and several meeting rooms and offices to discuss important information related to spying. Midas and Jules lived there along with the GHOST henchmen.

"What do you want me to make for lunch? Ramen?" Midas asked cheerfully.

"I've decided to join SHADOW." Jules said with a serious face.

"What? Is this another one of your jokes? Haha!" Midas laughed.

"After giving it some thought, I agree with Brutus. I'm joining SHADOW." Jules walked out.

"Wait!" Midas ran after her to her room where she was rushing to pack her things.

"Why are you leaving? What about all the things you said yesterday?" Midas stood at the doorstep to the room as he watched Jules sitting on the ground zipping up her luggage.

"Forget about them. I was too blinded and failed to see the truth. You order us around and you barely work." Jules zipped up the last of her bags and walked towards Midas.

"Also, I'm breaking up with you. Goodbye, Midas." Jules took one last look at Midas and walked away.

Midas simply stood there perplexed and consumed by his thoughts.

Why? Yesterday, she was supporting me. But maybe it's true.... Am I after all a horrible leader? Was I, all this time, a terrible boyfriend?

Midas dropped to his knees and tears rolled down his cheeks.

Did I fail to be there for her? Did I fail to make her happy? Did I fail....to be a good boyfriend?