chapter five

season one ; episode one { Pilot }
chapter five

BROOKLYN HAD HER HEAD buried in her pillow, her arms hanging over the side of her bed and her legs between the sheets

BROOKLYN HAD HER HEAD buried in her pillow, her arms hanging over the side of her bed and her legs between the sheets. Her head was pounding and her face stung from the events that transpired last night.

She wiped her eyes slowly to see Sheriff Peterkin standing by her door frame. "Get decent, sweetheart. We need to talk."

Brooklyn let out a low groan, her nails digging into pillow and her legs stretching out. She felt a small crack in her body as she rolled out of bed.

She kicked the clothes around her room and grabbed a pair of blue denim shorts and a white bikini top. She slipped on a pair of almost ruined converse and slipped a bandana around her neck.

She stepped outside, running her fingers through her tangled hair to find John B with Sheriff Peterkin.

"Sorry to break in like this, but DCS called. They wanted me to check on you both. See how you kids are doing." John B and Brooklyn shared a look, seeing the wounds on their faces. "So, how are you both, besides the-." She touched her face where John B and Brooklyn had hurt themselves.

"Oh, yeah. I'm great." Brooklyn nervously chuckled.

"Yeah, fantastic. Uh... thanks for comin' by."

"I'm so glad to hear you kids say that, but I heard a few things that worried me. Let me see if I can remember." While Sheriff Peterkin thought of whatever she was thinking about, the two Routledge kids tried to clean the house up. "Oh, yeah. One of the things I heard was that your Uncle Teddy, your guardian, hasn't been in the state for three months."

"Yeah, that's false."

"You don't have to say anything. I know it's true. I called the school." Brooklyn shot her brother a look while throwing a beer bottle away. "They said you both used to be good students but now you're both failin' all your classes."

"No. No, I'm only failing one, and it's history. He's a dick. He's out for me-."

John B was cut short by the Sheriff, "I heard there was a fight on the beach yesterday, and a gun was involved."

"Okay. Gun? No. No, there was no gun." Brooklyn scoffed, trying to make her lie sound enticing.

"That's okay. I know who it was. I'll get to him. All I'm worried about right now is makin' sure you kids are in a safe home."

"Yeah, super safe." John B scoffed. "Super sound, sturdy. You know?" He tapped the table gently.

"And Uncle T's coming back, so..." John B nudged Brooklyn, getting her to shut up before she spewed more lies.