─ nine

A thunderstorm was brewing in the dark skies.

Practice was finally done, and the two boys were left together, as always. The cold air of winter brushed against their skins as they stared into each other's eyes. Sakusa slid his hands around the tiny waist of the setter ever so gently as he pulled him closer to his chest, desperately looking for some tenderness within the cold inky blackness of the night. The younger man felt a familiar haze kissing his delighted heart when Atsumu breathed against his bare neck, a sensual bloody red dusting his milky cheeks from the cold.

The ravenette couldn't even blink, admiring the clouds of above that bled through Atsumu's honey eyes as if he was born from stardust in the skies. The only reason why he held back himself from tasting his heart shaped lips was his contemplation —which he never grew tired of.

"Want me to walk you home?"

His deep voice resonated throughout the quiet street, leaving Atsumu craving for more of this bewitching melody. Strangely, there was not a drip of bawdiness leaking from his melancholic tone like everytime they talked, it was ever just sweet and mindful.

The young man chuckled awkwardly, "I can walk by myself, my butt doesn't hurt that bad."

But Sakusa insisted, "I wasn't talking about—"

"Please Kiyoomi, listen."

Atsumu cut him off in a tone so sharp a knife seemed ridiculous in comparison. He didn't mean to startle him, but knowing Sakusa's doubtful inclinations he could tell that something didn't sit right ; he didn't like the way sugar-coated words rolled out of his silver tongue like magic spells, feeling like a honeyed trap no fly ever finds a way off. He could have played his game without thinking of the consequences, but he was aware of the addicting effect Sakusa's mischievous words had on him by now. And his great carefulness towards the other man was the reason why he coldly pulled off the embrace.

"We can't do that."

Sakusa felt his chest clench from the rejection, "Why?"

"Because it's so sudden, Omi," Atsumu said, taking a step away. "Ya never showed me any interest or affection unless it's in bed, and we were completely okay with that 'til today. So why tryna play with my feelings now, don'tcha have enough hurting me when we fuck?"

"Atsumu—"

"Just see ya later Omi-kun, okay?"

Before he could even protest, the shorter man had already left him alone, weak and hurt in the middle of his own despair. The obscure skies suddenly exploded, crying out the violent storm they'd been holding back. The rageful hail of the Winter whipped the young man's face. He stood still, lonely, in the middle of an empty street of Sendai - lost without light.

"What's happening to me, for God's sake?"

For the first time in his life, Sakusa felt dominated by his feelings, especially by this foreign sensation that made him want to rip his own chest with a blade wrought from his pains, perhaps to make sure it wasn't a nightmare, or perhaps to forget how insufferable the pain was. He didn't know much about that feeling.

But it certainly wasn't done blowing his mind yet.