Chapter 26: Broken Inside

Elena's P.O.V

I layed in bed. I heard the soothing sound of the rain hitting hard on the roof. Meredith walked in the room and just stood there. Watching me. The door opened and momma and daddy appeared. They slightly coughed. Signaling to Meredith that they wanted to talk to me. Alone.

Meredith walked out of the room, closing the door behind her. "So you and Steve huh?" My dad  asked as he placed his hands in his pockets. I didn't say anything.

"You're with him?" My dad said. And I  simply stared.

"Me and him won't be an issue to you" I said. "We broke up" i turned to him. His eyes softened and I stood up crying. Running out the door and into the rain in my night gown. I felt the cold water hit my face and I felt revived. I fell on my knees. I heard footsteps and suddenly someone hugged me. And that someone was Meredith.

There is no me and Steve anymore. He gave up on us. He gave up on a future together. He made me feel like I could touch the stars, but now I feel like I can't. I feel like every single piece of me has been taken apart and can't be put back together. I lost someone so important to me. I can't live. And for a minute, I'm forgetting how to breath.

I began gasping for air as I cried harder. Holding onto my stomach because it hurt that much. These sobs weren't quiet. They were begging to be let out. Meredith kept repeating to me that everything was gonna be okay. I heard my mom sobbing in the background.

But I couldn't believe her. Not when the love of my life walked out on us like this. This isn't how we were supposed to end. I love him. I am so in love with him. It's like my body is infected with a disease and I need an antibiotic to kill it off. And that antibiotic is love. The love he gave me. And I can't think about anything or anyone. And I can't sleep, I can't breath, I can't eat. And I love him. All the time. Every minute of every day. This is not what was supposed to happen. And I can't wrap my head around it.

Meredith spoke in a quivering voice, trying not to cry. "It'll get better. But don't cry. It pains me to see you broken like this. I know you love him, and he loves you too. This is just a fight couples have. Soda and I have fought over things like these. You will come up from it. In the moment it feels like you can't do anything, but I swear, you are strong. Stronger than you give yourself credit. This is just the beginning of an amazing relationship with Steve. The start of a farirytale. Remember, aurora had to be put under a spell before she was with her prince. Snow White was poisoned, and Cinderella was made fun of. Honey. This is a simple fight. That will start something amazing. Trust me."

I hugged her tighter. She always knows how to make me feel better. How to asses everything. She's my person. My sister.

I ended up walking home and changing. falling asleep after much crying.

Steve's P.O.V

This was eating me alive. Knowing she  walked out on me. On us. This is something I can't quiet comprehend. Maybe it was a misunderstanding. It hurts. Because she's been there for me like no one has. She's loved me more than anyone has. She believed in me when I didn't. She saw the best of me when I didn't.

She made my world colorful. It's like I was living in darkness and she came and turned on the light switch. I feel alone and empty. But what if that's the point. What if I have to feel this to know how I truly feel. I sighed as the water hit the floor outside. And I turned around in bed. Closing my eyes. And in the darkness of my mind, I pictured her. Her beautiful silhouette in bed the night before. Just twenty-four hours ago. When everything was perfect. When we layed in bed. In the arms of eachother. In complete silence but acknowledging the presence of eachother. As our hearts beat together in sync.

Just twenty-four hours ago. It was all perfect.

Sometimes we feel love is betrayal. We discover that things can stab us in the heart. And we can't do anything about it. Sometimes we mess up and do things we regret. Life has a funny way of showing us our true love. And our life. There's something about how life moves that is so impressive. It teaches us about pain. And happiness. And sadness. All at the same time. And it can take it away from us too. Things change from one minute to another. Don't take things for granted. Because tomorrow you might realize that what you've been taking for granted, will disappear before you can even acknowledge it.