The meeting of Sadness and Joy

Sadness has been looking for his home since he can remember. He wandered through wastelands, forests, mountains, towns, villages and seas without ceasing. One day the dreary monotony was interrupted by the meeting Joy.

Joy was cheerful and smiling. That's the exact opposite of him. To Sadness it seemed that when he looked at her, all the evil disappeared. He told her that since he was born, he has been seeking his home. She offered to help with the search. He wasn't certain it was a good idea, but eventually he accepted.

They marched through the mountains for a month. They were lucky because they were accompanied by beautiful, cloudless weather all the time. Unfortunately, happiness doesn't last forever, as Sorrow said when it started raining. Joy didn't worry about it at all. She walked smiling, ignoring the excessive rain. Sadness stared at her in disbelief. How can she still be happy when we are wet and dirty? As if she could read his thoughts, she smiled gently at him.

After a while it brightened up. At the end of the path, was a meadow broad of spring flowers. When Joy saw it made her scream with a delight. Without delay, she started running in that direction to enjoy the beauty. Suddenly she became grave and depressed. The sadness surprised by her behavior could not say anything. It was the first time since they had met, she wasn't cheerful. Sincerely concerned, he tried to find out what had happened. Ultimately, Joy indicated him what it was about. It was a person lying motionless under a tree. Sorrow timidly approached him. Initially, he got frightened. He had seen quite a lot during his journey and was almost certain a human corpse lay in front of him. But the barely noticeable movements of the chest and the silent murmurs in the fever remain signs of a smoldering life. They tried communicating with him, but to no avail. They began seeking the cause of his condition. Apart from the elevated temperature, found nothing else. Carefully handed him the remnants of the water they had with them. They knew they couldn't abandon him like this, but they had no idea what to do next. Sadness remembered they had passed a small house not far from here. Mayhap there will be someone there who can help them. Without waiting a moment longer, they clutched the patient's hands and moved as quickly as possible to the aforesaid place. They knocked on the door. After a moment they carefully opened and an elderly person peeked out from behind them. They informed him what happened, and he allows them in. He pointed to the bed where they place the sick man, and took care of him together. After a few long hours, he got better and woke up. It was already extremely late, and the host was pleased to offer them an overnight stay. Throughout the evening, he shared fascinating stories and local legends with them.

In the morning, Joy, Sadness and their new companion - Disease said goodbye to the eldery person and set off on a further journey. On the way, passed forests, meadows and villages, until they reached the city. Joy was absolutely fascinated because she saw the city for the first time. So many buildings, streets and people in one place! However, her happiness did not last long, as poverty and dirt were hidden behind the façade of prosperity and beauty. In an instant, everything was bad, and for the first time in her life she did feel unsafe. She wanted to escape this place as soon as possible. Sadness had seen more than one city, and he knew well that it could be much worse. However, for Disease it was also not new. He came from a city that was also the cause of his illness. Used to not recognize the wickedness inundating the whole city, but after leaving it, almost overpaying for it with his life, sees things differently. Or rather, recognize gaps, errors in what previously seemed normal. In addition, he was starting feeling worse. Joy, Sadness and Disease agreed to leave this place as soon as possible. However, it turned out that the exit is not as sheer as the entrance. The maze of streets entwined them like snares. When almost managed to untangle in one of the corners of the street, they saw a crying child. Joy approached him. Sadness and Disease did not hear what she was talking to the child about, but saw their gestures and behavior. Initially, the child was desperately anxious and distrustful, he could hardly hold back tears, but slowly the tension faded away. At one point, Joy hugged the baby and took it in her arms. She approached them, and it turned out to be a lonely, abandoned Child. After some thought, they asked if he would like going with them. They knew each other briefly, but he trusted them and agreed. Additionally, despite his young age, knew would have no future here. After leaving the city, they resumed their journey. Disease and Child became best friends. Sadness felt an unusual warmth deep within as he carefully observed their smiling faces. Concerned about the phenomenon, discreetly asked Joy if she knew what was wrong with him. She grinned radiantly and advised to lift the corners of his mouth. Next he will feel it is something proper that does not need to fear, but to properly care for. Sadness thanked her and was very intrigued to see it worked.

After a few days of wandering, they reached the house that Disease inherited from his grandparents. It was located a little off the beaten track, not far from a small village. Needed a little renovation, but it didn't prevent the move. While relaxing on the porch and sipping tea, they listened to the sounds of nature. At some point, Disease suggested Child, Joy and Sadness to come and live with him. Child agreed right away because it never had its place. Joy liked the idea very much, but she did not forget about her promise to Sadness. And he hesitated, but when looked at them all he was certain - agreed.

Sadness realized that the house he had been looking for for such a long time was here and could not be anywhere else.