A WHAT!

Hey folks! I guess you could say it's been a while... SORRY! Anyway, I'm back and have just started a new fic called 'The Merwitch'. Go check it out. In honour of that fic and my overall inspiration for it, I have decided to release this one-shot that I have had sitting around for a while. I hope you enjoy! I would also like to try to add for one-shots post-Hogwarts, so let me know if you want to read some of those. 

- Ella xx 

Hermione's P.O.V.

I ran out to the Black Lake, tripping on some cobblestone as I run through the castle. It's 9:55 pm and I need to be at the Black Lake in 5 minutes or my secret will be revealed. My legs were moving as fast as they would take me and I was getting a killer stitch in my right side. As the cold winter breeze tried to push me around I stopped right in front of the lake and began to strip, not realising someone had followed me and was standing nearby behind a tree. Once I was down to just my bra and my panties, I glanced at the watch on my right wrist. 9:59. Just in time. I dove into the water and made a huge splash, making my way to the depths of the lake to explore my surroundings, much like every other night. 

After getting comfortable with the temperature of the water, I resurfaced, only to see one Draco Malfoy looking me dead in the eye. My eyes widened in surprise and I went to dive under again only to be stopped by his confused tone. "Granger?" He asked "What are you doing in the lake?" "What are you doing here Malfoy? It's after curfew, I could take points from Slytherin," I replied sassily, thanking merlin he couldn't see my tail under the water, although my bra had transformed into a gorgeous purple and blue bikini top and my hair, now not nearly as bushy, had small purple and blue flowers and shells threaded through a braid pulling pieces of hair off my face. "But I can take points from Gryffindor," he countered, his frown deepening. I rolled my eyes and shook my head. "What are you doing out here in the middle of the night Malfoy?" I asked impatiently. "Were you following me?" He glares at me, clearly annoyed. "What if I was? You always go missing right before 10 and I want to know why!" "That's not information I wish to disclose!" I screamed. "Why are you in the lake? It's the middle of winter and that water must be absolutely freezing, especially if your only in undergarments," He said quietly. I sighed in frustration. "Why do you ask so many questions?" I countered, seriously debating if I should just dive in and not come up. "Because... Because I might be a bit concerned about you," He replied just above a whisper. I look at him in utter shock and swam as close as I could to the edge without revealing my tail. Once I was almost arms reach away I grabbed his hand and pulled him forward, dragging him into the ice cold water. Before he could protest, I pressed my lips firmly against his. It took him less that 10 seconds to register what was happening, and soon enough we were snogging in the lake. He moved his hand to my lower back, just above my tail, and I pulled away. "You want to know my secret?" I asked, so quietly he had to strain to hear. He nodded in response and I turned around swimming out to the deeper part of the lake. He watched me silently and in one swift motion I flew out of the water and into the air, giving him a full view of my gorgeous purple and blue tail and landing back into the water, swimming back towards him. He looked at me, mouth hanging open and eyes wide in pure shock. "Wha-wha, how, but I thought-" I silenced him with a kiss. "I'm a mermaid," I began. "I come here every night because at 10 pm, I lose my legs and gain a tail. I struggle to breathe when I'm not submerged in water and can die," I finished, looking down in embarrassment. He lifts my chin with his long, slender finger and kisses me with so much passion I thought I would explode. I had never been kissed like that. Ever. 

Minutes later we broke apart, both panting, forehead pressed together. Draco was shivering slightly and I looked down at my watch to see that it was passed 11. I could change back now. I pull myself out of the water and use my wand to cast a drying charm, allowing me to gain my legs and pull my clothes on. Draco stared at me in awe and pulled himself out of the lake, his lips turning a shade of purple. I cast a drying charm and a warming charm on him and we made our way back up to the heads dorms.

As we moved into the dorm, I glanced at Draco, catching his eye. "I would really appreciate it if you don't tell anyone what you saw down at the lake," I said. He nodded at me and I gave him one last peck before heading up the stairs to my dorm room. "Goodnight Draco," I called from the top of the stairs. "G'night Hermione," he replied.

Third Person 

The next morning, Draco woke up thinking he must have had a very strange dream regarding the incident the night before, but as he made his way down to the common room he saw Hermione on the couch reading a book. She had a blue shell clip holding her hair in place, a clip similar to the one he saw in his dream. When Hermione turned around, she met Draco's eyes and gave him a big grin. She moved towards him and pecked him on the cheek. "See you in potions!" She shouted as she made her way to the Great Hall for breakfast leaving a stunned Draco behind, realising it wasn't just a dream.