Rosemary for Remembrance

The queen moves up to Arianna and studies her closely and smiles, "A fine choice" she says, "this is Arianna, she is quiet but well mannered, she will give you no trouble. Please do not hesitate to ask if you require further aid" her chamber maid is by her side in an instant, ready to take on an order.

"Please escort Arianna and these four men to their sleeping quarters on the west side of the palace" she said turning back to the men, "I'm sure you will find it adequate enough" smiling, she turns back to her chamber maid and whispers something in her ear and they both nod.

"Arianna you will stay in the room adjoined to the mens so you will be readily available in such case they need you throughout the night. We will have someone from the palace bring up your belongings from your cottage if you wish" she flits her hand and a man servant with bright green eyes sidles up to her, a shy smile on his face.

Arianna looks up from her place on the floor and does a small curtsy "Thank you your majesty for your kindness" her voice was but a whisper "I don't have many possessions but I would like to bring up a few things with me, no need to bother anyone to help, but thank you for the offer" she curtsies again and smiles at the man with green eyes. He nods and backs away, returning to his other duties.

Turning away from him, Arianna makes eye contact with Sorbian, her heart flutters at the sight of him, his mere presence is enough to make anyone buckle at the knees. She starts to drown in the depths of his eyes, so captivating. She clears her throat and excuses herself before she makes a fool of herself. As she goes to leave, she can feel the heat rolling off Rowena in waves, she is furious. Rowena comes up behind Arianna and shoves her hard to the ground, her knees scraping along the uneven stone producing a cut. Blood begins to rise from the wound and Arianna gathers her skirt and compresses it, stifling a cry and some un-lady like words.

Sorbian is at her side quickly and bends down to help her, "Are you okay?" he asks his eyes warring with worry and anger, Arianna nods quickly and starts to stand her skirt now stuck to the fresh wound. Rowena stands there, arms crossed, with a wicked grin on her face and she scuttles away before she is reprimanded. Arianna knows nothing will happen to her.

Rowena's family is one of the richest in the village because her father Peta who owns a lot of the land. Her father became angry and greedy after his wife died, he loathed Ariannas grandmother because he believed that she could save her, but the festering wound she received after being bitten by a rabid dog was too much. Her grandmother was distraught afterwards, normally wounds like that would heal within a few days after using one of her hand made poultices, she believes there was something else at work like an evil of some sort, but Rowenas father wouldn't believe her and he would constantly raise the rent on the land out of spite. He made it difficult for other villagers to trust them again however there were a few that remained loyal and they were grateful.

Bidding farewell Arianna and her grandmother make their way back to the village in comfortable silence.

The moon is low in the sky when they make it back to the cottage. As they enter her grandmother clears her throat, Arianna, now nervous, turns around with a smile. "You will do well in the palace" her grandmother said, smiling fondly at her granddaughter, her green eyes looking far more fatigued than normal.

"I hope so" Arianna whispered, she doubted herself being away from her grandmother for so long. "I could decline grandmother; I'd like to stay with you." She said looking at her sadly, tears welling up in her eyes.

Her grandmother shook her head and opened her arms wide for an embrace and she sniffled. Arianna relished in their hugs, something about them made her relax and feel content. "I'll be fine here by myself" she said "I'm not that old" they both chuckled, and Arianna pulled back to look at her grandmother again. She had deep crows' feet and lines along her weathered face, her hair, wispy, but tied back in a twist as it always was. Arianna gave her a watery smile and they squeezed each other again.