Aftermath

[A/N: This chapter is supposed to be the prologue of the book version of book two. After a lot of discussion and brainstorming, I decided to take it out from the final output. Therefore, as the release for the second book is just around the corner, I wanted to drop this as a little tease. This prologue is in the time that the final battle from book one has just ended. Enjoy reading!]

****

Alex's POV

"IT'S been quite a ride," a voice from behind said with a tone of relief as if it's a long-awaited remark. One side of my lips rose, having no opposition to what he said. After all, it's indeed quite a ride. The road has been rough and unkind to us. Its hurdles and rocks may have flattened for a while, but it's no ride if it will be eternally unwrinkled.

I immediately took my eyes off from the buildings and welcomed him with a bashful smile while my arms folded across my chest.

"I can't believe it's over now. Parang kahapon lang..." I trailed off. Finally, the sun has really shone to the buildings of this school which a few months ago are witnesses to a fierce battle. Before, every corner of this place reeks of mystery and darkness that no one can explain. 

Now, every single thing of it seems to have been cleansed.

His enigmatic eyes that are as black as Hawthorne stretched as his smile widens, while his hair reflects the sunlight as it is being blown by the wind along with the trees. With his cheekbones lifted and his white polo sticking to his muscular curves, I can literally hear my heart pound.

Napabuntong-hininga naman siya at pumwesto sa likuran ko upang yakapin ako. Inabot ng mga kamay niya ang akin at saka ipinatong ang kanyang baba sa balikat ko.

"Ang mahalaga, bumalik ka na sa akin, Kirsten," mahina ngunit kalmado niyang sabi sa paghigpit ng hawak niya sa mga kamay ko.

I tilted my head to his and heaved a sigh of relief. I closed my eyes, still in disbelief that I'm back. The long-lost missing piece within me has been found. And its biggest part is him.

"Hey, what do you want to do after the graduation?" May kung anong paghihintay sa mukha niya na tila ba may inaasahan na siyang sagot sa'kin.

Binuksan ko ang mga mata ko at kumalas muna sa kanya.

"Hmm. Let's see. Sign for a cruise tour? Watch some theater? Or... buy a ticket to New Zealand?" Liam's smile instantly faded and his eyes didn't deny his dismay. I can't help but smile widely. If I were to compare the Spade I knew when I first came here to Mhorfell Academy and the Spade I have now in my arms, it's hard to keep the list of differences short.

Para bumawi, kinuha ko ang pares ng mga kamay niya at binigyan siya ng makahulugang tingin.

"Or... schedule a date with my future husband?"

Oh god! Saying that sounds weird. Even for me. Especially for me.