one

September 5, 2008

Louis' life began to go downhill on his first day of junior year. As expected, the first day back was nothing but chaos and groans from fatigued students that had stayed up the night before. Louis, however, had gone to sleep at a respectable time and arose with the sun, a habit he picked up from his best friend, Zayn. The two would often wake up together to watch the sun rise across the city. He continued to greet the sun in the morning even after Zayn had moved away, leaving Louis alone in the school.

The petite brunet tuned out the obscene shouting from his schoolmates and made his way to his dull green locker. The hinges of locker 280 creaked as it opened, and Louis shuddered, the sound reminding him that he was stuck with it for another two years. Muscle memory kicked in, and Louis swiftly gathered his books, neatly putting away the ones he didn't need. He was ready to drag himself to science when a tall boy flung locker 281 open. A small frown took over Louis' face as he tuned into the conversation that was taking place beside him.

"Listen. I don't always go for the short ones. Okay fine, but he's got a cute nose. That is not creepy, Niall. I don't know. Let me check."

Louis inhaled, as the boy next to him looked into his eyes. He pulled his phone out and put his headphones on, eavesdropping on the conversation.

"Blue. Yes. They are not always blue. Alright fine, I have a type. Um. Black skinny jeans, blue hoodie."

Louis gasped as he peered down at his outfit. His shock quickly turned to frustration. Who was this man, and why was he talking about him?

"Excuse me, who are you?"

The boy abruptly hung up and flashed a cheeky grin at Louis. The latter glared at him, urging him to answer.

"Harry Styles at your service."

Harry stuck his manicured hand out but quickly retreated it upon seeing Louis' scrunched up nose.

"Why were you talking about me?"

Harry chuckled and threw his books in his locker before answering, ignoring Louis' foot tapping on the grey floor.

"I think you're cute. Is that really such a crime?"

The warning bell blared, and Louis never had a chance to answer. Harry vanished into the sea of people scrambling to their first class. Louis decided that his day would go on as normal, and he wouldn't have to bother with the curly-haired boy that thought he was cute. He was safe until his worst fear ran into his science class and hastily sat down next to him.

"Get to know the person beside you! They'll be your partner for this year!"

Louis' head made contact with his desk, all hope for a good year sailing out the window.