Chapter 15: The Old Oak

Later in the evening, Shrek got up out of bed, since he couldn't sleep. He wandered around his wife's bedroom and looked at the figurines on the mantle piece. He saw a doll knight and doll princess with stuffed animals that were a dragon and a dead ogre. It made him feel bad about being himself, and thought maybe Fiona would be happier and better off without him, but what could he do? He soon saw a music box. He opened it up to find a diary, but then shut it as it played music. Fiona turned over in her bed, but she never woke up. Shrek then quickly snatched the book and shut the box it came from as he curiously opened the book to see what it was all about, and where it was about her hoping to be with someone named Prince Charming.

The first entry was about little Fiona wanting to go to a slumber party at Sleeping Beauty's house, but her parents told her not to, and she thought she would be going to a finishing school. Instead, she was going to be locked away in a tower and she someday hoped to become Mrs. Fiona Charming, which made Shrek feel sick to his stomach, and where that wasn't the only page. It seemed like every other page had that on it. There was then a knock at the door, snapping him out of his thoughts. Shrek looked over and put the diary away and decided to answer it and only looked down to see his new father-in-law.

 Shrek looked over and put the diary away and decided to answer it and only looked down to see his new father-in-law

"Sorry. I hope I'm not interrupting anything." Harold smiled nervously.

"No, not at all. I was just done reading a-a scary book." Shrek frowned.

"I was hoping you'd let me apologise for my despicable behaviour earlier." Harold then replied.

"Okay..." Shrek glanced at him oddly.

"I don't know what came over me." Harold replied. "Do you suppose we could pretend it never happened and start over... You could bring that friend of yours if you'd like."

Shrek began to think about this as this would be a perfect chance for him and his father-in-law to get along. "Look... Your Majesty... I just..."

"Please, call me 'Dad'." Harold replied.

"Dad." Shrek then continued. " We both acted like ogres. Maybe we just need some time to get to know each other."

"Excellent idea!" Harold cheered. "I was actually hoping you might join me for a morning hunt. A little father-son time? I know it would mean the world to Fiona." The two of them looked back to the slumbering Fiona. "Shall we say, 7:30 by the old oak?" He offered.

~*~*~