Chapter 11: Otherworld

Carol and I scour through my basement the next morning. We're looking for information about this whole Fomorian-Danann ordeal and honestly, I'd rather we're not involved. She sure knows how to convince people though.

The basement is cleaner than when I last saw it. All the cobwebs removed, dusty corners and shelves cleaned and most things have been organised. Makes it easier to look for things. Where the hell did that crate go? It had most of the research my parents had done on the Danann.

"Maybe whoever cleaned this place up put it somewhere else." Carol states. I know she feels like this is a wild goose chase.

"Let's ask Kelly, she's probably the one who cleaned up." I say.

"Or, it could be still here." She says as she rushes to a shelf and pushes it outwards. We see a small compartment behind it and bam, the crate is right there.

"How did you-?"

"Know that there was something there?" She interrupts. "Easy, I felt a draft coming from a loose plank behind the shelf. The wind from outside gave it away."

She is so in tune with her abilities. I didn't even know you could do that. But Abhartach did mention that I should have enhanced senses. I should ask her for some tips after.

We take all the papers and objects in the crate and put it in a backpack. We put back the crate where we found it and leave. Don't want Kelly to know we took something. For some reason I know she won't like us taking this stuff, otherwise she wouldn't have gone through the effort to hide it.

We go to her house. Can't exactly check the stuff at mine. Kelly might see. We're in her room and of course nasty thoughts of me ravishing her begin filling my head. Shouldn't I be focused on this?

Kelly looks up at me as she empties the innards of the backpack on her workstation. She smiles seductively and I remember, she can read minds. Abhartach immediately locks her out again and she snarls.

"That vampire of yours is starting to get on my nerves."

Abhartach speaks to her telepathically and I can hear them argue.

"Back off parasite, he was mine first," Carol spits.

"So says the girl who hadn't claimed him until recently, " Abhartach returns.

I change the subject. "Anyway, what do we have?"

Carol smiles as she examines the documents, papers, books and few artifacts laid out.

"We have a lot. Your parents were the real deal, man. This stuff is ancient." She says excitedly.

I spot the knife that turned me into Abhartach weeks ago. Except that it's no longer wooden. It is now silver like the one in Abhartach's memories. The blade is silver with black lining around the edge and has a black hilt with white runes drawn on it. It looks sexy.

"The dagger reactivated after you embraced my power

"The dagger reactivated after you embraced my power. It's yours now," Abhartach says and the blade jumps up into my arm. It calls to me. Strange, I could swear it told me that it wanted me to be the one to wield it.

Carol looks at me in shock when it happens.

"Strange. Not even my staff does that. I was told by Cernunnos that it's rare for a weapon to go choose a user. Guess you're one of them," She says flatly.

I can tell her it took her a long time to master her powers, maybe years. It probably bugs her that I'm coming into it so fast. I'd be peeved too.

We look through the work for any clue or something we could use. We spend about half an hour digging through the research until we stumble on something intriguing.

"Carol, check this out."

Carol looks over my direction and looks the document in front of me. Her vision narrows to the paper and she gasps.

"Think it's real?" She asks.

"Well Danann are. It's possible the Island of Danu exists."

"This says it is a place called 'otherworld', how the hell are we supposed to get there?"

"There is a way," Abhartach says to me, you will have to take The Entrance. Though it's all the way out at the coast."

Great just what I need.

"Abhartach says there's something called The Entrance at every beach nearby, that will take us there faster." I say to Carol.

"Alright. We can work with a magic entrance or something. Guess all that's settled is to get the supplies and go see this Otherworld." Carol says enthusiastically.

"What do we tell parents? Did you forget that we're still children living under their roof?" I say.

"We'll tell them Max is hosting us for a week. School is out, Max's folks are cool and you're pretty tight with her."

The next day I say goodbye to Kelly and go to the mall to wait for Carol where we'll probably get an uber.

I arrive and she's already there waiting. She looks super prepared. She's wearing a a green hoodie, black slacks and sneakers and a medium-large backpack. I just carried a medium backpack, hoodies and sweat pants and very few pairs of sneakers.

I notice Max is with her and they chat merrily.

"Yo, come to wish us luck?" I mutter at Max.

"Yep, after all this is a romantic getaway, you're gonna need it. I heard her hormones are really high." Max jokes while making a face.

Carol told her this is a love getaway? Max would believe that. Especially if it involves me.

We both get in the newly arrived car and we head onwards, to victory, I think.

The view from outside is amazing. But it's all just typical city stuff at this point. Carol begins to really look outside when we leave the city.

The vast open plains, the mesmerising mountains that reflect green pastures and plantations, the clear air that runs past you when the window is slightly opened.

We arrive at the beach in an hour and a half

We arrive at the beach in an hour and a half. We did leave in the morning so we've still got most of the day to look around.

"Walk towards the water," Abhartach whispers.

I signal Carol and we do as he says.

The water crosses at our feet now as we walk ever closer to the sea. We keep walking and only when our feet are buried under the sea water that Abhartach tells us to stop.

"Breath. Call home, go back home. Feel your home calling," Abhartach instructs.

Cernunnos must've told Carol what to do because she has also begun to breath deeply. We both feel the air around us, we feel a familiar pull tug at us and a mist bursts from the sea and sweeps us away in a cloud of white smoke.