Eyes Open Wide [Eastwood / Puspos]

[ Tyler Graham ]

The music was ear splitting loud, and the people around me were acting as if they were wild animals about to mate with each other. I tucked a piece of my hair behind my ear as I glanced at my surroundings, finally realizing I was in the middle of a dense crowd of people. The neon lights above me was giving me a slight head ache, but I had to suck it up for the one person I was here for.

"We should go," I heard a female voice scream, and I looked to my right to see the dark brown hair of Carla Taylor - one of my closest friends. Her hands were pulling at the skirt she had thrown on in a hast, as well as the low rise tank top covering her upper body. She look uncomfortable, "Let's just leave! Brian will never know we didn't stay!"

"I have to tell him 'Happy Birthday', Carls. He is my best friend and he's never missed one of my birthdays. So, why would I miss one of his," I questioned loudly, spinning around, trying to find the boy in question. I felt like I was in a maze created by jumping and grinding bodies. I felt trapped for a split moment.

Carla huffed and decided to help me look for the loud, dancer before we were engulfed in the dancing bodies around us. I had did almost six complete circles before I caught a glimpse of what seemed to be Brian's styled hair. Grabbing Carla's arm, I began to drag her in the direction of the figure - which was actually into the pit of the dancing crowd.

"Damnit," I cursed as I lost sight of the figure. I dropped my grip on Carla's arm as I felt someone grab me from behind. The person's touch was unfamiliar, and that made me push them away out of instinct.

I was ambushed by a rush of alcoholic breath blowing into my face. The smell made my gag reflexes kick in, and I used my free hand to cover my mouth. Before me stood a boy no older than myself, who was piss drunk and slobbering slightly. His hair was matted with what seemed to be vomit, and his clothes were damp with his sweat.

"Excuse," I said as politely as I could without screaming in digust. "Can you please let go of my arm? I have some where I need to be."

The boy's fingers tightened, and my fear sparked. His mouth was then directly next to my ear, "You're not going anywhere, honey. I have other plans for us tonight."

I could see Carla standing one or two feet away, her face was petrified and she was shaking slightly. I felt the weight of the boy vanish as a figure blocked me from the pervert's reach. I already knew who it was by the scent of their cologne; Ian. 

A rush of relief flooded my body as the creep's hands were shoved away from me completely. I could see the harsh and hateful look covering Ian's usually bright and cheerful features. His eyes were dark as the neon lights continued to flash around us, his voice was swept away by the pounding music as he growled something in the drunk's ear.

And with one last rough shove, the drunken boy stumbled away from us as Ian's towering body slowly stopped trembling from his anger. Ian slowly turned to face me, a bright smile covering his lips in seconds of  his eyes meeting mine.

"Thank you," I softly told him, looking down to see his hand still holding mine with the softest touch he rarely used.

Suddenly, Ian's hand wasn't holding mine anymore, it was by his side instead. I looked up, not understanding why he had dropped my hand so quickly. I then followed his wavering gaze until I saw someone who knew nothing of Ian and I's secret feelings for one another.

Carla.

Ian's mouth moved to say something, but instead, he sprinted off into the crowd. But not before he gave me an apologetic look of sorrow, which made my heart clench painfully. I bit my lip, fighting back tears of rejection as I told Carla, "Come on. Let's get out of here."