Shallow- Bradley Cooper/Lady Gaga

It had been a year since the final battle took place.. Also marking the day where Draco Malfoy had recurring nightmares of him being tortured by Voldemort. With each passing night, jolting upwards in bed with sweat beading down his face he had to remind himself that it was just a dream and Voldemort was no more. He couldn't help but sit alone in the shrieking shack, listening to the creeks of the old building as they resonated in his ears. He hadn't ever been up here, but he figured this would be the only place in Hogwarts he couldn't be bothered.

Strange footsteps echoing the halls of the shack brought Draco out of his stance. He spun around, swiftly pulling his wand from its holster as it aimed for the intruder. "Who's there!" He called out. To his surprise, it was none other than Hermione Granger.

"Oh for Merlin's sake, Malfoy, lower your wand!" Hermione snapped at him, placing her hands firmly on her hips. Draco did as he was told, slowly lowering his wand and placing it back into the holster that resided on his hip.

"Sorry about that, Granger." Hermione eyed him suspiciously.

"Everything alright, Malfoy? You seem a bit jumpy." Draco nodded his head quickly, waving his hand in the air.

"I'm alright, just haven't had the best sleep lately." Hermione pursed her lips together, trying to decide whether to believe him. "You know, they say you can go quite mad without the proper lack of sleep."

Draco rolled his eyes as he sat against the wall once more. "I suppose you know a thing or two about going mad then, eh Granger?"

"Not exactly. But I know the war affected a lot of people in different ways. Surely you know a thing or two about that?" She told him, repeating his words.

"What exactly are you doing here, Granger? Come to see what little old ferret boy is up to? Do you think I'm plotting the next grand scheme to bring back the Dark Lord?" Draco snapped at her, his eyes glaring at her.

Hermione mirrored his expression, balling her fists at her side. "Why do you have to be such a prat? Is it that bad for someone to come and check on you? To make sure you're alright?"

"Ah, stalking me now are we? Trying to gain intel for Saint Potter and Weaslbee?" Hermione scoffed and threw her hands in the air. "Unbelievable. Did you ever think maybe someone wanted to be in your corner? To help you not feel so shallow."

"What exactly are you looking for here? To know why I'm wallowing in self pity? Here let me tell you." Draco told her as he quickly picked himself off the ground and stood mere inches from her.

"I'm trying so bloody hard to fit into this world. Unlike you Granger, I didn't grow up in a loving, doting family. I was taught that people like you were beneath me. Anything impure was not to be bothered with. And now, I find myself wanting to change, but I fear that I never will and I'll become my father and fall into those inner demons that I have fought so long to hide away in the back of my mind."

Hermione listened wholeheartedly, feeling her heart sink at the mention of his childhood. "If you want to change, stop acting so hardcore. Let people in and try to be nice to you for a change." She told him, placing a kind hand on his shoulder. "You're not the only one who had to battle demons, who feels as though they won't ever touch the ground and be wholesome again. As you recall, I was tortured by your Aunt and believe me I have the marks to prove it." Hermione pulled back the sleeve of her sweater the word mudblood still etched onto her arm as if it were yesterday. Draco winced at the sight, wishing to hell he could have stopped his aunt from torturing her.

Hermione moved her hand from his shoulder to his cheek as she spoke, "Voldemort. Your Aunt Bellatrix. They're gone for good and they can NEVER hurt us anymore." Draco simply nodded his head, letting her words sink in. He began to sob, weeping for those he helped put to harm. Hermione pulled him in an embrace and began to rub small circles in the center of his back. "Shh.." she soothed. "You may feel as though you're falling, but I promise that you can get through this. You're strong Draco, stronger than you know."

Hermione continued to hold him as the pair stood in the middle of the floor. It was at that moment, Hermione had made a vow to herself to help him get his life out of the shambles his father had created for him. To pull him back onto the ground, no matter how long it would take.