Better Than Ever

Saturday came faster than Heather expected and before she knew it, she was standing outside Ellen Hall in Glasston, it had been booked specifically for Gilbert Auditioners and inside it was crammed with teenagers holding guitars, cellos and other forms of instrument. Graham and Heather had been standing for a good half hour before Heather was called.
"HEATHER FARROW, UP NEXT," yelled the Stage Attendant, approaching Graham and Heather, "There is a piano on stage that you'll be using,"
Heather stood in a freeze frame for a few seconds before Graham spoke up, "Right, honey, go blow them out the water and if they don't let you in, we'll send an audition tape to Julliard in New York," 
"Thanks, Dad," mumbled Heather, opening the stage door and walking in.
She was dressed in what most female musicians have to wear for a performance. A dress, heels and their hair tied up.
The three judges were sitting in the huge hall, looking like statues as they watched Heather walk towards the piano.
She sat down in front of the piano which was angled perfectly so the judges would get a view of her playing which gave Heather butterflies. She took a deep breath and held her fingers over the keys before closing her eyes.
She had chosen to play Bach's Prelude in C Major specifically for this day. Her eyelids shot open and she banged her fingers down gently on the keys. Every inch of her knew what to do, she didn't have to think about it anymore, it just flew out of her. She felt as though her arms were no longer controlled by her, but by the piece. She felt herself get lost in the piece just as it approached the ending. It was over in, what felt like, seconds.
"Thank you," shouted a judge, giving her a signal to leave the stage.
Heather stood up and nodded and exited the way she came on to find Graham standing at the open stage door.
He didn't say a word as he led her out the building.
Once they were out in the fresh air, Graham stopped in the middle of the path and looked around.
"You okay?" asked Heather, stopping and looking at him.
"Yeah, what do you wanna do? We got a whole day here," said Graham, breathing heavily.
"I think I wanna go home, get changed and just spend the day with my friends," said Heather, she knew this would probably offend Graham but it was the truth.
"Yeah, okay" smiled Graham, wrapping his arm around his daughter and leading her towards the car park.
"How did I do?" asked Heather, as Graham opened the car once they reached it.
"You were amazing, as usual. They'll let you in," said Graham, getting in the car.
-
Two days later, Heather headed to the place where Pine Bay practiced, she knew they were there as she could hear acoustic solos being played as she neared the bar.
She let herself in and watched the band finish up their current song before clapping, "That was the best song I've ever heard, you guys,"
"Oh, hey! You're back," smiled Ryan, standing up and jogging towards her, "C'mon, let's go for a walk,"
"How have you been?" asked Heather, being led back out into the chilly air with Ryan's arm around her shoulders.
"Never mind me, how did the audition go?" asked Ryan, holding her tighter than he ever had before.
"It went well," hesitated Heather, walking slowly, "Actually...It went better than ever. The music that flowed out of me was like a tap, it started flowing out of me slowly then all at once, even though it was like playing to statues,"
"So, that's good right?" asked Ryan, focusing on Heather's words.
"Yeah, it was like playing to statues but it was amazing," smiled Heather, "The feeling of just being there and doing what you love...I bet it's the same as when you perform,"
"Aha, I'll bet that's true, so are they gonna let you in on a full scholarship?" asked Ryan, in a joking tone.
"My dad thinks I'll get in but there were like fifty other kids there, I don't stand a chance, at least I got the try it though," explained Heather, feeling Ryan walk slower.
"When do you find out?" asked Ryan, looking at Heather.
"January, and it's almost Christmas, so not long," smiled Heather, feeling a small rush of excitement in her stomach.
"Well, we gotta go out celebrating," said Ryan as he stopped walking.
"How about, instead of celebrating, you write a song about me?" asked Heather, wrapping her arms around Ryan and hugging him.
"I'm not good at writing about things that make me happy, if you want a song, you're gonna have to like...Cheat on me, or something," chuckled Ryan, hugging Heather back.
"Ooh, what do I have to do for a full album?" smirked Heather, feeling Ryan's heart beat against her head.
"Don't be greedy now," laughed Ryan, placing his chin on her head.
"Okay, so where we gonna go?" asked Heather, pulling away from Ryan.
"Out," said Ryan, turning on his heel and heading towards the shed.
Heather waited outside while he let the band know where he was going before coming back out with his car keys and bag.
"So, what you doing on New Year?" asked Ryan, wrapping his arm around Heather's shoulders as they walked to the car park of the bar.
-
Video On The Side: 'Euphoria, Take My Hand' by Glasvegas//i chose this bc it suits Heather at her audition if you listen to the lyrics closely and it also suits Ryan and Heather's conversation about getting a song, (:
-ONLY TWO PARTS OF THIS LEFT OOOOH