high school

nini's pov

i wake up bright and early for the weekend ski trip, not having slept much last night. i shower and throw on my gray hoodless sweatshirt and leggings, leaving my wet hair down to air dry. my moms drop me off at the school, where there a few busses are loading students on. i hug them goodbye and rush onto the bus, immediately seeing kourt and seb sittkng together. there's only enough room for the two of them, so i scan my eyes around for another seat. ricky's sitting alone and waves to me when we make eye contact.

"can i sit with you? kourtney and seb are sitting together," i say.

"sure. i get the window seat, though."

"deal." i plop down next to him, setting my bag down on my feet.

"i brought grapes," he says with the dumbest smile, holding out the container from his bag. they're the purple ones, which just so happen to be my favorite. how did he know that? i take the container and pop one into my mouth.

"mhm, what are you listening to?" i say with a grape on the side of my mouth, grabbing one of his earpods and putting it in my ear. he's listening to high school, by UMI--which also just happens to be one of my favorite songs. we make small talk for a bit, but after the night i had, i start to get tired. i lean my head back and try to snooze off for the long ride, and as i'm almost asleep, my head falls onto his shoulder. it's way more comfortable this way--and he hasn't moved it off!--so i leave it there.

ricky's pov

nini's asleep on my shoulder.

ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygo--no big deal.

except for the fact that her hair smells like sweet vanilla lavender.

and every few seconds her cute little nose scrunches up.

and her cheek is squished in the cutest way on my shoulder.

i rest my head on top of hers, inhaling her vanilla-lavender shampoo just one more time. i try and sleep, but there's just no way that's happening. instead i just sit here with my eyes closed, enjoying being this close to her. was that creepy? it sounded creepy. if not creepy, than at least sappy--holy shit, i haven't added to the list in forever.

#82 - creep

not that she's creepy, she just makes me look creepy. i'm not. i promise. i just have a mild to moderate crush on her. that's it. i finally admitted it. are you happy now? after at least an hour and a half, nini slowly wakes up.

"oops, sorry about that," she says, lifting her head up off my shoulder and rubbing her eyes.

"it's fine. just don't do it again," i joke. please do it again.

"how long was i out for?" she looks around for her phone to check the time.

"oh, for just for a while. i think we're almost there." that's when i see it. a few seats in front of us, e.j is giving me the worst look. whoops.

"are you going to the cabin party tonight?" she asks me.

"i don't know, are you?"

"probably."

"why? i mean, it's e.j's party."

"all of my friends are dragging me there, i don't really have a choice. but i guess it'd be a lot more fun if you were there," nini tells me with a smile.

"then i guess i'll be there, schtewpid."

"wow, you haven't called me that in forever."

"well, i have to interchange all the names."

"like what?!"

"sal-robz, ninAH, schtewpid, bubblegum bitch, mr. mazzara-"

"shh, he might hear you!" she laughs, referring to mr. mazzara at the front of the bus. we spend the rest of the ride snacking and scrolling through our phones, until the bus finally arrives at the ski resort.

"see you later, sal-robs," i say as she gets up from her seat.

"see you."