Prologue

Two pairs of yellow eyes glowed through the dark, both Jana and Cerys trying to catch the wolfblood's scent

Two pairs of yellow eyes glowed through the dark, both Jana and Cerys trying to catch the wolfblood's scent. Stars glistened through the inky black, dancing on the ripples that crested on the city's river.

"Imara," Jana spoke, her words drifting into her earpiece, "I think we've lost him."

"He's good," Cerys added, knowing that both the wolfbloods had heard her, even though she had no similar device at her ear.

She had come to Newcastle with Jana after their pack had been adbucted by Kincaid. Only with the help of her, Imara and TJ had she started to integrate into the human world - technology was something she was only just getting used to.

Slowly crouching to the pavement, her hands splayed out over the dirty stone as she turned her head up, gentle winds caressing her cheeks and dancing through her dark hair.

"He is," the Segolia Alpha agreed, her voice ringing clear through both their ears as if she were standing right next to them. "But you're better."

With a triumphant grin curling onto her lips, Cerys turned her head to Jana and said, "Got him."

"And that's why you are going to be our best agent," Imara reminded.

With a simple glance of her now grey eyes, Jana's intentions were known and Cerys slowly slinked down the concrete steps with her closest friend following in her wake, the two girls rounding a corner onto the bustling street. Figures blurred together, their voices attacking both the wolfbloods' ears as one. They took a nervous step back, hearts hammering inside their ribcages as if trying to break free.

"Jana?" Imara asked in concern, though she made no difference to their current overwhelmed state. "Cerys?"

Wild wolfsbloods weren't meant to live in the city, Cerys remembered Alric had said once.

"Jana, what's going on?"

Shaking away the distractions, she replied, "I'm here."

"Finally," Imara sighed in relief. "Remember your training. Focus."

Cerys's eyes darted from side to side, trying to weed out the scent from all the humans' in front of her. But at Imara's words, she muttered, "Wolfbloods always head for familiar territory."

"Well done."

"I know where he is," Jana continued, her voice at its normal volume now, her breaths no longer ragged and laboured.

The wolfbloods broke into a rapid sprint along the embankment of the river, easily pacing beside one another. The feeling of running, even in the city, had an unmatched thrill, it was a need that had to be satiated.

Cerys grinned widely at Jana as they crossed the bridge over the glistening river, hair flying out behind her.

It didn't take long for the pastel shopfront of the Kafe to loom into view, music and chatter and laughter swirling through the night air like breath on a cold day.