chapter twenty-one

season one ; episode five { Midsummers }
chapter twenty-one

THE POGUES GATHERED AT Rixon's Cove for a mandatory meeting about where JJ and John B had been all day

THE POGUES GATHERED AT Rixon's Cove for a mandatory meeting about where JJ and John B had been all day. Brooklyn was freezing, her head was pounding and she felt like sleeping for decades. JJ wrapped his arm around Brooklyn's shoulders and tried to keep her warm as he changed from his spiffy suit into his normal clothes.

"So what's this mandatory meeting about?" Pope asked.

John B did finger guns over to the blonde. "Might as well tell him, man, before we're gaffed."

"You ready for this?"

"Yeah."

"So, the gold never went don with the Royal Merchant." Brooklyn knitted her eyebrows together, confused as to where the gold could've been.

"Oh, my god. Here we go again with this."

"No. All right, wait. Here him out, all right."

"It's been here the whole time. It's on the island." He spoke, looking around the group.

"Are you serious? Oh, my God."

"I'd like to voice my skepticism." Everyone snapped their heads over to Pope.

"I'm sure you would, Pope but can I please present you with my evidence, sir?" He raised out his hand, picking up his backpack.

"Proceed."

"All right. So, in my backpack, I have a letter from Denmark Tanny." He started.

"Who the hell's that?" Brooklyn asked.

"Denmark Tanny was a slave that survived the Royal Merchant wreck. Check this out." He showed the letter to Brooklyn who didn't understand it but still looked through it. "Okay, slaves weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but our dad, he found the complete manifest. That was his big discovery. So Tanny used the gold from the Merchant to buy his freedom." Brooklyn whistled as she passed the letter over to Pope and Kiara. "After that, he bought his farm. Drumroll, please, evacuate that farm is..." The group started to pat their hands on their knees. "Tannyhill Plantation."

"Tannyhill?"

"Yeah. So, after that, he used his money to free even more slaves, and then he sold a shit-ton of rice, which pisses off all the white planters, and then they decide to lynch him." Kiara and Pope looked up from the letter to John B. "So on the day they were coming to get him, he writes a letter to his son as a farewell, and in the last line of that letter, he leaves a coded message about where to find the gold."