I'm Wishing

Raina's POV

Mother Gothel was the first in the car rider line as usual. She always made sure of it only to be absolutely positive that I would not have any free time to engage in conversation with any of my peers. She would put it, "I will not stand for you mixing in with any of those school crowds, you're enough trouble as it is without any influences. It's bad enough that you are allowed to sit with just any riffraff in the cafeteria."

I sighed and pushed through annoying students, who would only move if you touched them since they are so repelled by others. The other students are most commonly kind to me, until they find out that I am never allowed out of the house for any activities by Mother Gothel or when the old witch discovers any of my budding friendships and harasses them until they steer clear of me. This time it wasn't too hard, I seemed to be parting the crowd easily enough. That's when I noticed a shadow looming over me, following me in my footsteps on my way to Mother Gothel's expensive car, like a hawk stalking a mouse.

I peeked over my shoulder and realized it was only Christopher Bjorgman. He was always casted out of groups because he could never afford to be in them and most people were terrified to appraoch him anyways because of his strong build and tall frame. Everyone was whispering about his black eye today. The usual gossipers said that he beating up some thug the other day, but of course they had no clue.

Relieved it was only him and not a bully, I smiled and gave him my usual meek smile. However, to my horror, he began to walk beside me and talk to me. I could see Mother Gothel's face scowl.

"Hey, Raina! Oh, wait, is that your car?"

I nodded, hoping he would leave so as not to face the wrath of my wicked adoptive mother. He was such a kind person and I really wouldn't be able to stand it if he was victimized by that detestful hag. Unfortunately for him, he stayed beside me.

"Well, I guess since I'm going in basically the same direction, I can walk you on to your car."

I shook my head, "Oh, you really shouldn't, Mother- I mean, my mother doesn't like to see people, um, talking to me."

"Well, that's strange," was all he said, but he still didn't take my warning.

Mother Gothel pulled out of the line and parked in a visitor's spot. I gulped and looked at him nervously, I hoped he wouldn't hate me because of what was coming. I walked quicker, hoping that if I got straight into the car, she would leave it be.

He tried to strike up a casual conversation as we walked through the car rider line traffic, "I heard someone ended up in the nurse's office today. Any idea who?"

I quickened my pace and almost was hit by a car, "Um, no." The driver of the car honked their horn and yelled at me, I yelled back, "I'm sorry!"

I reached Mother Gothel's car and jumped in the front seat without so much as a goodbye to Christopher. Just as I hopped in, Mother Gothel hopped out and called to Christopher. He turned around as he was about to walk across the street with an innocent look on his face. I groaned and curled into a ball in the floor of the car, so nobody could see me.

I could hear her onslaught, "Who might you be, boy?"

"I am Christopher Bjorgman."

"Oh, so you're the mountain boy, are you not?"

I could hear the nervousness and confusion in his voice and I felt even more guilty if at all possible, "Um, I do live near a mountain, yes."

That's when she snapped. She talked about how little money he had and how he shouldn't be associating with me because he will give me a bad reputation and she called him trash. He would never speak to me again, I just knew it. Tomorrow, I don't even know if he would sit near me at the cafeteria table. That was how it always went for me, with any friend I've ever had.