Sometimes you gotta lose somebody

Ed stands on the pier, gun in hand. He stares at Oswald with hate and loathing in his expression. Oswald cries inconsolably, begging Ed to let him go.

"You need me! Just as I need you! You can't have one without the other! I love you....THIS WILL BE THE COLD BLOODED MURDER OF SOMEONE YOU LOVE!!!" Oswald sobs out, sniffling.

"I don't love you." Ed says diabolically. He raises the gun in his hand and aims for Oswald's belly. Without hesitation, he pulls the trigger. Oswald gasps in shock as the bullet rips through his abdomen. He looks up at Ed with such heartbreak and devastation, but something else lingers in his expression: love. Even after that, love still shines in his expression.

"Ed, I..." Oswald tries to speak, but ends up coughing up blood.

"Oswald." Ed whispers shakily, clasping the lapel of his jacket.

Oswald reaches out for Ed, grabbing his tie and pulling him forward slightly.

"I forgive you..." Oswald gasps in pain and love.

"I'll always love you..." Oswald continues as Ed shoves him backwards into the water.

It took him a second to realize Oswald had ripped off his tie. Not that he cared, but as he stood there he felt the guilt, regret and pain consume him.

Ed growls and rips off his jacket, shoes, hat, and waistcoat and dives into the water.

A few seconds later he emerges with Oswald in his grasp.

"Oswald! No!" Ed gasps in horror as he realizes Oswald isn't breathing.

"Come on, baby, please." Ed's voice cracks in pain as he starts compressions.

"Please don't leave me..." Ed sobs.

"I've lost everything else. I can't lose you...I love you too. Come back to me. Please come back to me..." Ed sobs gently, cupping Oswald's face.

Ed puts his mouth on Oswalds. Mouth to mouth.

He breathes into Oswalds mouth for several seconds, then returns to compressions.

After ten agonizing minutes of CPR, Oswald gasps, jerking to life and coughing up sea water and blood.

"Oswald!" Ed gasps happily, desperately clinging to Oswald.

"Ed?" Oswald says weakly staring up at Ed with such adoration and reverence, but also a small amount of doubt.

"I love you. I'm so sorry for everything I said, it wasn't true. It wasn't true!" Ed hiccups, collapsing into Oswald's arms. Oswald gasps silently and wraps his arms around this beautiful man.

"I forgive you, and I love you. I will always love you."

Ed sobs harder, tears streaming down his gorgeous face.

"I have to get you to a hospital!" Ed says suddenly, jumping up and finding his jacket. He digs in the pocket and finds his cell.

"I need an ambulance, the mayor has been shot! We're at the pier! We're at the pier! Please hurry! Oh, God, Oswald! Stay awake. Please stay awake!" Ed says hurriedly, panicked.

He hangs up the phone and returns to Oswald's side, using the waistcoat to put pressure on the wound.

"Ah! Careful..."

"Sorry."

Oswald looks up at his Edward, immediately realizing how much he hurt this man.

"You should've left me here to die."

"What?!"

"I don't deserve to live while she rots in the ground, Edward. I am so sorry..." Oswald sobs out.

"I love you. I can't live without you. I need you. You can't have one without the other."

Oswald opens his mouth to speak, but is silenced by loud sirens. After a few moments, he's suddenly lifted onto a stretcher and carried up to an ambulance. Ed quickly hops in the back, clasping Oswald's hand.

"I'm so sorry..." He whispers hoarsley, kissing Oswald's knuckles.

At the hospital, Ed doesn't leave Oswald's side.

"He's lucky. If the bullet had been just an inch to the left, he'd be dead."

Ed feels a jab of guilt at the doctor's statement.

"I love you." Ed says hoarsley. He stares at his Oswald, who looks deathly pale and is cold to the touch. But the repetitive beep beep beep
of the heart monitor reassures Ed that Oswald is still there.

And always will be.

Yeah this might suck but whatever....

FYI the song this is based on is amazing.

It's a classic "me" mistake
Someone gives me love and I throw it all away
Tell me have I gone insane?
Talkin' to myself but I don't know what to say

'Cause you let go
And now I'm holdin' on
I guess you don't know what you got
Until it's gone

Sometimes you gotta lose somebody
Just to find out you really love someone
Oh-oh, and I do, and I do, and I do, yeah
Sometimes you gotta lose somebody
Just to find out you really love someone
Oh-oh, yeah
Sometimes you gotta lose somebody

So don't tell me it's too late
Hearts are made to bend, baby, please don't let me break, yeah
I knew I should've stayed
'Cause now you're movin' on and I don't know what to say

'Cause you let go (yeah, you let go)
And now I'm holdin' on (I'm holdin' on)
I guess you don't know what you got
Until it's gone

Sometimes you gotta lose somebody
Just to find out you really love someone
Oh-oh, and I do, and I do, and I do, yeah
Sometimes you gotta lose somebody
Just to find out you really love someone
Oh-oh, yeah
Sometimes you gotta lose somebody

Sometimes you gotta lose somebody, yeah

Just to find out you really love someone
Oh-oh, and I do, and I do, and I do, yeah
Sometimes you gotta lose somebody
Just to find out you really love someone
Oh-oh, yeah
Sometimes you gotta lose somebody

Ooh
Ooh
You gotta lose some
You gotta lose somebody

Lyric video at top, cuz you really have to hear it to get the Nygmobblepot feels...