02 impulsive

Don't forget to read the message in the end :)
Song: Nothing Stays The Same - Luke Sital-Singh

*—*—*—*—*—*—*—*—*—*

M I K E Y

I took a seat at the farthest table I could find outside. I never hung out in the cafeteria, well not anymore.

And the best part was that there was hardly anyone outside.

Sometimes Nadine would join me out of pity, that's what she says but I know she genuinely enjoys my company.

Today, she was busy with school committee things. I didn't mind being alone though.

Sometimes I didn't enjoy it but right now it was peaceful, especially after being stuck at home for the whole weekend.

I took a sip of my drink and wrote in my notebook, though I wasn't able to finish the sentence. I sighed and put down my pen in frustration.

I scanned the schoolyard and noticed Nick Vásquez barely coming to school, which wasn't exactly anything new, other than the fact that he even showed up at all.

What did catch my attention though, was the person he was talking to. A girl with light brown, long, wavy hair.

I haven't known the guy for that long but he isn't exactly known for having friends.

Nick, the lowlife that won't get anywhere, Vásquez. That's what everyone calls him. He's a sarcastic drug dealer with more customers than friends, doesn't really care much about anything and since he's moved here, I've seen him in and out of school.

When we went into summer, he focused more on selling. Since school started, he hasn't shown up once.

Until today.

That's all anyone ever knew about Nick Vásquez. I only knew of him because I used to hang out with Jonathan's crew, they would talk about him.

He would make deliveries to Jonathan's house during the summer. I wouldn't know about the last, though.

When I looked back at him, he just lingered near his car, the girl leaning against the passenger side was laughing at something he said.

I looked away from them and looked back at my notebook.

There were doodles covering every corner and swirling around words like art, but knew that those are doodles of boredom.

A pair of feet stopped next to me, causing me to tense up immediately. I could never forget the smell of her perfume, it always gave me a headache.

Sara.

I took a deep breath, my irritation growing by the second. I didn't bother to look at her, just continued on writing in my notebook.

She really doesn't understand what 'no' means, does she?

It was actually easy to pretend like she wasn't there, I mean she never was before.

"Are you really going to ignore me?"

I didn't respond.

"This is how you're going to act?" I felt her take a seat next to me.

She was probably rolling her eyes at my behavior. I knew her like the back of my hand or at least I used to.

"Can you at least look at me?" She pulled my chin to look at her.

I stilled at her touch. Her strawberry blonde hair fell around her shoulders, wildly being brushed by the wind. Not a wrinkle on her preppy clothes.

Her hazel brown eyes stared into mine and I reached up to put my hand over hers before pulling her hand away.