chapter two - the nurse's office

▪︎ alex's pov ▪︎

i looked down at the sleeping figure in my arms. 'poor thing,' i thought. when i heard the lunch bell ring, i knew i was gonna get in trouble if i wasn't in class, but i had someone who was sleeping with me, and i didn't wanna wake them up.

so i carried them with me to the office. "hey, we're going to the office, okay?" i softly murmured to them. they probably couldn't hear me because they were sleeping, but i wanted to tell them that in case they could so they wouldn't be startled by my moving.

i lightly walked to the office, rubbing this person's back while i did. once i got there, i opened the door with my back since my hands were full.

"hi alexis!" the office clerk greeted me. i felt the person in my arms stir and a tear fall on my shoulder. "shhh, i'm here, rest," i soothed, gently rocking them back to sleep.

the office clerk looked at me with a confused expression. "i found them crying at lunch, so i went to comfort them," i explained, "they eventually fell asleep while i did and i didn't wanna wake them up, so that's why i came here."

the office clerk smiled, "you're so sweet alex." i blushed, "it was just the right thing to do." the clerk then said, "head over to the nurse's office and i'll write you both a pass while you're there and i'll let your teachers know where you are. i recognize who you're with, so don't worry."

i smiled, "thanks! by the way, who are they?" "their name is (y/n)," she said. "thank you so much!" i softly shouted as i carried (y/n) with me to the nurse's office.

"you have an awesome name," i whispered to (y/n), who was still sleeping. once i got to the nurse's office, i explained the whole situation. she said i could stay here with (y/n) if i wanted, and i accepted it. they looked pretty comfortable in my arms, and i wanted to be there in case they were confused when they woke up and cried again.

i sat down on the cot the nurse laid out, (y/n) still in my arms. after another fifteen minutes though, the end-of-class bell had rung, and it startled (y/n) awake. sure enough, they started to cry again.

their (e/c) eyes darted around the room, and they immediately started to panic. "hey, hey, hey," i tried to soothe. they then started hitting themselves out of frustration, and i felt my heart break.

"hey, we're not gonna do that, okay?" i gently suggested as i grabbed their arms to stop them. i then cradled (y/n) like i had when i first helped them. "shh, esta bien mi ángel, we're just at the nurse's office," i hushed, "esta bien."

after a few minutes, i finally managed to get (y/n) to calm down. i wiped their tears with a tissue, and smiled at them. "hey there buckaroo, i never got to introduce myself, so i'm alexis, but you can just call me alex." i introduced, still using a calming and quiet voice.

"i'm (y/n)," they sniffled as they introduced themselves back. "i love that name," i smiled at them. "thanks, i love your name too," they replied, their voice scratchy from crying. there was silence for a moment before (y/n) had asked, "why did you help me?"