CHAPTER TWO

Mini chapter
Two years later

"Miracle no!" Arthur was chasing the red bird around the cabin because she had taken the last bag of oats. Grains were all they had now, it had been two years since they went back to the village and managed to get food and when they had walked there the last time there was nothing to take, they should've known that skeletons do not need to eat. Luckily there was still a little soap left but only enough for around a week. She was now on one of the wooden beams fused to the roof, the bag still in her beak. Arthur sighed and left the room to sit down and do nothing.

After a few moments he heard cawing. It was unmistakably Miracle, trying to get his attention and show that she was better than him so he ignored it but when she flew in with no oats he knew that he had been mistaken. "MIRACLE! Stop it! What is wrong? Did you drop the bag?"

She ignored him and repeatedly flew at the window, kicking it each time. Eventually Arthur stood and looked through the cracked glass. What he saw was not to be expected.

It had been ages since they had seen one of Nyxia's pawns but there were three skeletons roaming around outside. One of a donkey and two adults. They were muttering something under their breath about someone escaping. All Arthur could hear was. "He escaped, my queen needs him back. Mr A Bradford-Jones is free, we must take the disobedient brat to the mistress."

Arthur loudly tumbled backwards into the table, his hip banging into the table, alerting Miracle.

"They know, they know I escaped, they are looking for me!"

Before he could do anything, Miracle knocked the door open and flew out, directly at the skeleton soldiers. She used her talons to scrape away at them but it did nothing. Eventually she set her whole body aflame and sent a separate fireball at each of them. The monsters collapsed and Miracle fell to the ground, limp and not breathing. Arthur rushed out of the house towards his friend and picked her up slowly, watching her feathers turn black.

As the last one changed, the bird flew out of his hands, still unmoving, as though the wind had taken her from him. She burst into a flame bigger than before and when it died out a girl around the age of 18 stood before her. She had long flame coloured hair and golden eyes and was wearing an orange feathery dress.

He watched in shock as she stretched and spoke to him.

"Ah yes, it's good to be back, you have NO idea what it's like to be a bird for this long. Right, we should get going now, they will be up in a few minutes. They won't remember anything but that doesn't make them less deadly. I've been waiting to teach you some self defence, now I might be able to! Stop gaping, you look like a toddler. Oh, and please, call me Evie, it's much better than my bird name."

With that she ran off.