05. 𝑇𝑎𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑟𝑔𝑒

Eᴘɪsᴏᴅᴇs: Eᴀʀᴛʜ Sᴋɪʟʟs

❖ ── ✦ ── 『✙』 ── ✦ ── ❖

               THE NIGHT SEEMED to drag on forever whilst we slept in the woods, but by the morning we were all raring to tackle the rest of the journey. Jasper and Monty had devised a plan to swing across the river using a particularly long vine that they'd found nearby and, of course, Jasper had decided to go first in the hopes of impressing Octavia. Although I was pleased that she'd finally taken an interest in a more reasonable romance option, the constant obsession with hooking up that everyone other than me seemed to share was starting to drive me insane.

Jasper swung across the river successfully, landing on the other side in a heap and we cheered in celebration in a group. We watched in high spirits as he discovered a sign for Mount Weather and he held it up over his head in victory, only increasing the veracity of our support from our side of the river. Unfortunately, the joy that we shared was short-lived.

From the woods, a spear tore through the trees expertly, flying across the water before it reached its target. The savage weapon cut through Jasper's chest, skewering him to the ground and our shocked group screamed out in panic. With some frantic movements, Finn and I managed to herd them into cover as we hid under the rocks at the edge of the bank, but this left us trapped between our attackers and the water.

In an effort to protect what remained of our group, we decided to move into a more secure location and ordered them to sprint back into the forest. Weaving through the trees in a frenzy, we dragged each other along in desperation and it was all I could manage to keep track of everyone.

Monty slipped over something as a result of constantly looking over his shoulder, sprawling out spectacularly onto his front and whilst Octavia and Finn bent down to help him up, I kept a watchful eye on our surroundings. My heart hammered in my chest, as visions of more spears appearing at any moment replayed in my mind and I bounced on the spot with fearful energy.

When Monty still hadn't risen to his feet after several moments, I leaned forward to investigate and realised that he was stunned as he scrambled to pull himself out of a pile of human remains.

"Who are they?" Finn muttered as he examined the assortment of bones, whilst I stared down at them in horror.

I had to fight every urge in my body to keep running, with my instincts screaming at me to put as much distance between us and our attackers as possible, but my need to protect Octavia kept me rooted to the spot.

"What are they?" Clarke queried, as she held up a massive skull in disbelief and we all gasped at the alarming sight.

The skull was the correct size to have belonged to a human, but it's terrifying shape more closely resembled that of an ape. I stared at it with wide eyes, unable to process that something so grotesque could reside in the same forest that we were now camped.