prologue/some advice

they look like trouble cause they're all in black. but you look at those puppy dog eyes, and those love heavy lips, and you know he's soft underneath. you stay up chewing your eraser not doing your homework cause you're thinking about what he's doing if he's up this late.

cussing dirt in the dark at the zombies on his tv screen cause he knows he's never gonna pass this level, or wandering around in dirty socks and baggy boxers half blind, half dead, eating white slices of wonderbread.

maybe thinking of you. but that would be a prize, and the kind of love you want isn't a carnival game.

they tell you they love you, and you believe them. even when they mixed their saliva with somebody else. they pull you to them by your waist, kiss you hard like they want you more then they want to breathe. and you smile on a saturday morning cause last night you dreamed of him, and when he put his arms around you it was real.

it felt so real this time.

they grab you by the hand and you run around the city at 3am; slow motion shadows, like twin cats, with neon light in your eyes and not worried cause your parents are sleeping and his voice is like cola on independence day. and they let you sit on their lap at 12am, by the park, when he's got a smirk on his lips and smoke in his lungs and a pair of eyes on your neck and you don't have a care in the world cause love feels like this.

you think love feels like this.

they're tough like raw meat, and hard like stone, and bleed the color blue because pink is for girls.

they're sweet like soda when the sun is sleeping on your skin, and they're mean like when the bottle cracks. breaks in your hands and cuts you deep.

his jeans are blue with indigo. his converse are covered in spit, and dirt. his knuckles are bloody, and his heart is too.

you think you need to write poetry to stop thinking of him.

he thinks he needs to put some lead in his head to stop thinking of you.

they get their hair in their eyes, and stare at the floor, and put the color in your cheeks, cause he likes you in red. they've got broad backs, and big dreams. and they bite their lips when they look you in the eye.

boys.

brawny boys and all their noise.

well I never liked the truth much, but I think you ought to know.

they're gonna break your heart.