Chapter Thirty

Portland, Maine, I don't know where that is
Leave your bags in the car, keep it running
I won't pretend, that I won't miss this
But Portland, Maine, I don't know where that is
Donovan Woods
(Portland, Maine)
                                __His First July

Chapter Thirty

COLBY

Posted to WillisKnowsHow
Yesterday 1:24AM

Title: The Last Chapter

Life... A flimsy concept. 

At least I used to think so. Honestly, it never really did mean all that much to me, I always thought about life as a thing people valued above everything... You know, their first priority. Well now I know why I thought of it as that... I had a life, but I wasn't living it. They did say to live it and love it cause you only get one. Not two. I misused my chance, never got to the end of the tunnel, but I saw the light and it was beautiful. It touched me and changed every single thing I thought was true about me. It gave me dreams and aspirations I never knew I had, or could have. But as I write this, I write it with my new found light. My new found aspiration. And life, it's not just a flimsy concept. It is indeed important... It is everything we need to do right. Cause you don't get a second one. 

Are you wondering how I got to this point? The guy who never really valued the thing he had cause he thought there wasn’t any point to all of it? Well... It all started with two beautiful words. 

High school

Every teenager’s worst nightmare. Yes, it is... But when you take away the stressful and toxic school day, and think of the moments you got to spend with your friends? Think of the experiences, the things that made you laugh, the things that changed you... You'll find that it isn't all that bad... No, in fact, it's what we need. A guy like me who knows nothing about his physical environment and how the company of people can really bring out a side in you that you never knew existed... I would say, highschool is cool. I would say the experience is indeed a once in a lifetime thing, to quote my special someone. PE, the everyday cafeteria drama, and let's not forget the parties. 

Parties. 

I used to think I'd never understand the concept of parties... But now, I kind of do, cause well it's a way to bring people together. Create friendships and break the ones that are meaningless... You'd find that in high school parties, there's always something that happens that will change your life in a way... Maybe it's a shy girl getting drunk and dancing on a pool table, or a drunken text to your ex boy/girlfriend, and maybe getting a glance from that girl or boy you've been trying to stop thinking about... Something just happens... Just like something happened to me... My life basically began after my first ever highschool party... And no, I didn't get drunk and danced on a pool table... I don't even know what alcohol tastes like... My life changed when my special someone asked me a question. "What do you want, Colby?" 

That was the first time, in my entire life I struggled to answer just one simple question. It bugged me, it made me think, deep, real deep. It made me search for an answer I couldn't figure out at the moment. 

Well, ever since that party, I realized why parties are kind of fun... Life without a little bit of drama, or a slight push, isn't living. 

Of course, I didn't have to fuss about the way I looked or how everyone would look at me at the party, cause well... Aside from never having a life, I did what people did every morning... I kept fit.