Getting to Hogwarts - A Day in the Life of a Student

As I sit in The Three Broomstick's with a pint of Butterbeer and a large book on the speculated magic behind Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour - a subject I have realised may lead to my ever growing chance of obesity - I quickly scan through the letters I've been sent by Owl in the past week. All seem to ask the same question in response to last week's article in the Daily Prophet, 'Subjects Worth Your While'. I can tell you now that I have not seen so many soon-to-be-first-years of Hogwarts so utterly bewildered about getting to the school, and how to purchase their robes. There must be a large majority of Muggle-Borns this year, but even so, what ever happened to reading the instructions on the back of your Hogwarts letters? 

 I have been to China to see the flock of Chinese Fireball's migrate north for the summer, I have visited Nicolas Flamel's second house in Devon where he finally died at the age of six hundred and sixty five, and I have ventured to America to speak with some of the greatest wand makers succeeding our very own Ollivander. To be asked how to travel to Hogwarts, is not just an easy task, but one which slightly undermines my profession. In spite of this, I feel that to guide you to the specific area of Diagon Alley and Kings Cross Station is my duty, as I would rather not have the burden of fifty children's whereabouts on my hands. 

 So, let us begin. Wherever you live is dependent upon you, whether a muggle dwelling or a wizards village such as Godrics Hollow, getting to London is something I cannot help you with. All I can help with is your navigation around London itself. Of course, many wizards travel by Floo Powder, and I'd highly suggest buying some once you arrive in Diagon Alley. But to arrive, I will have to direct you. 

 Once in London, locate the nearest tube station or bus stop which will take you to either Covent Garden, Soho, or more conveniently, Leicster Square. Being a wizard and all, I am not much accustomed to muggle transport, but if you are indeed the muggle born I presume you to be, then I'm sure locating these forms of transport will not be such a problem. Once within the area between Soho, Covent Gardens and Leicster Square, search for a street named Charing Cross Road. It should be straight up from the square, and connected to a street called Tottenham Court Road. Once on Charing Cross, Locate a small wizards pub named The Leaky Cauldron. If your parents are muggle then they may not have heard of it, but I can assure you of its existence.

I am not directing you to a pub in order for you to enjoy a nice drink - indeed you are very much underage - rather I am leading you to Diagon Alley. Founded in the year 1500 by Daisy Dodderidge, The Leaky Cauldron was built in order to serve food, drink, rooms to rent for those who wish to stay for a while, and acts as a gateway to Diagon Alley itself. On entering this rather delightfully, shabby pub, I'd recommend ordering a drink (non-alcoholic for you) and food as a farewell to your parents. You can then ask Tom the barman if he would kindly direct you to the back, where he will tap a bricked wall, allowing it to disperse for your entry into Diagon Alley. Here you should find the shops listed on the back of your letter (please do try Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour and let me know if it is much different from the average muggle ice cream). 

 But before collecting your school things from Madame Malkins, Flourish & Blotts, Ollivander's and the likes, your destination will be Gringott's bank. This is where I will remind you to bring the muggle money you wish to take with you to Hogwarts. The wizarding world does not deal with the average British pound, in fact our currency is much different. You will have to change your muggle money, at Gringotts, into Galleons (Gold), Sickles (Silver), and Knuts (Bronze). Gringott's can be located at the end of Diagon Alley, it is rather large, very hard to miss. Make sure not to take a wrong turn into Knockturn Alley, as you may lose your items! 

When all is retrieved and you feel satisfied you have done all you can, you can take your things back to The Leaky Cauldron, whereupon you will be given a room if you wish to stay for the night. I would highly recommend the stay as the Hogwarts Express leaves Kings Cross station at exactly Eleven O'clock the next morning. 

 After having scoffed down some eggs and bacon in the morning, make sure you have all your luggage and items for your time at Hogwarts, then head out for Kings Cross Station. Aim to be there at least fifteen minutes early, you don't want all the good seats to be taken! Kings Cross is about a thirty minute walk away from The Leaky Cauldron, so taking the tube will probably be your best option as it takes under ten minutes to get there. I'd just like to note here that if you are to travel by tube then make sure to keep muggle money spare as tube stations do not accept Galleons - a lesson I learned the hard way in my youth. I will not elaborate on that.                           

 After your journey to Kings Cross, whether it be by train or on foot, search for Platform-Nine-and-Three-Quarters. Do not ask any officials where this platform is as they most likely will assume you're mad and ask for you to leave the premises. Instead, find Platform Nine, and make sure it is definitely Platform Nine. I say this because you will have to run through the brick archway in order to reach Platform-Nine-and-Three-Quarters, and if you have the wrong archway you will most likely be heading to hospital with a severely broken nose and only muggle medicine to help make a slow process of healing. If you would like to make sure the archway is correct, it is likely most wizarding families will walk through without hesitation, gaining you the confidence to do so yourself. 

Once through the archway, make sure to keep your Hogwarts letter somewhere accessible as you may be asked for it upon boarding. You can either store your luggage in a separate compartment or store it on the luggage rack above your seats. I can offer no further advice other than to make friends, try a chocolate frog, avoid Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans, and wave goodbye to your sobbing muggle parents who probably have no clue how to get back off the platform.