alternate universe

A 20-hour flight is not something Callum was looking forward to. But for his Aunt Amaya, it was worth it. Callum couldn't wait to see her. His brother, Ezran, was on the balls of his feet, excited to finally get to see his Aunt.

Callum looks at the plane as he and Ezran board it. He was nervous. He hadn't been on a flight in so long. He remembers going on a trip with his parents to Scotland. Ezran was still a little toddler, and Callum was only 7. It was a long time ago, but he still remembers it. It was one of his great memories of his mom before she died. He shook off the grief filling his heart at the memory.

After some looking around, they found the seats they had reserved. It was a three-seater. Ezran takes the window seat, and Callum sits in the middle. He wonders who reserved the seat next to them. He dislikes human interaction, being the weird socially awkward introvert he is. He's trying to get over it, he really is, but he's just so insecure.

They were going to stay at their Aunt's place for a week and then go back home. He and Ezran have school. Their dad, Harrow, allowed them to go since it was a winter break and he couldn't come along, as he had many responsibilities and couldn't leave home. Harrow hadn't felt safe letting his two children go on a plane, unsupervised, even though Callum was already 18, but he understood that they needed to see their aunt and winter break was the best time to do so and trusted Callum to take care of himself and Ezran.

Callum and Ezran babble on with each other about their plans once they get to Aunt Amaya's. Ezran wants to go to the zoo. He loves animals. Callum just wants to stay inside as much as he can get away with. He's heard about the immense weather in Australia. How hot it was in the summer, and how daft and rainy it was in the winter. All he wants to do is stay inside with his face stuffed in his sketchbook. Callum knew it wasn't the ideal way to spend his time there, but he isn't interested in anything else.

A few minutes later, Callum notices a shadow pass beside him. He looks up and sees a girl. She was looking at him nervously. Then he realizes. She was going to sit next to him. He shoots her a sheepish smile, and she smiles back. She places her luggage, a green suitcase, in the storage compartment above them. She also has a black backpack but keeps it beside her. Then she takes a seat in the chair next to him.

The girl has elbow-length white hair, which baffles Callum. She looks maybe around his age and height. She's wearing an oversized turtleneck teal sweater with tight cuffs, and simple black leggings. He gets a glimpse of the color of her eyes. Lilac. Callum has never met anyone with any sort of purple eyes. They're pretty.

Callum was in his thoughts too deep and barely registers when the girl stares back at him. His eyes widen and he looks away. He curses himself for gazing at her. He decides to pull out his sketchbook and begin sketching to avoid the awkward atmosphere. The image of his mother is still stuck in his head since he was reminded by his first plane trip with her, together as a family, so he decides to sketch her.

Callum only manages to get the basic outline of the drawing before Ezran begins jabbering. He doesn't listen to Ezran and continues working on his sketch.

"-and so this flight would just be so much better if he came. I still don't see why pets aren't allowed on here." Ezran pouts. Callum looks at him, confused.

"Wait, what were you saying?"

"I was talking about Bait! It's unfair that he couldn't come. Why is your nose up in your sketchbook, anyway- oh." Ezran peers over Callum's shoulder and notices the drawing of their mom. He lays his head on his brother's shoulder. "I miss her, Callum." Ezran's voice cracks. Callum turns to give his brother a hug. "I miss her too, Ez."