Word Count

Every single year on the first of January it was the same- everyone was given their allotted number of words to speak for that year. Most people were given millions. And this year, like every single year, Mega sat on his bed watching the palm of his hand. The clock struck midnight he watched hopefully as the large black 0 on his hand faded- only to return moments later. Nothing- again. He ignored the tears pricking at his eyes. Oh well- he was sure to get words one day.

~~~

The first day of highschool was stressful for anyone, and especially for someone with no words. Mega carried his textbooks close to his chest as he walked down the foreign corridors. Once or twice someone would approach him, with a "hello, what's your name" or "are you a freshman too?"He would just show them the black 0 on his palm and they would mutter an apology and be on their way. He made his way to this first class and sat down at a random desk near the corner of the room- not too close to anyone else. He set down the textbooks on the desk, looking up as the door opened and a blonde-haired boy walked in.

"Oh- I'm so sorry-" He said, a little too loudly as he ran straight into a slightly shorter girl. "Can I just get past- excuse me, sorry." He made his way through the classroom and took the seat next to Mega. He hardly seemed to notice that smaller, nervous boy as he rummaged through his bag bringing out an already battered textbook and-

"Dang it I forgot my pencil." He turned to Mega. "Hi- uh- You don't happen to have a pencil I can borrow, do you?"

Mega looked the boy up and down. He paused for a second and then, with a completely straight face he lent towards the boy and took the pencil from his breast pocket before handing it to him.

"OH- I guess I didn't forget my pencil after all." He gave a small giggle. Mega smiled slightly. "So- I'm Zelk, what's your name?"

Mega looked down, clearly upset. He showed Zelk the number on his palm.

"Ohhh- hold on" Zelk reached back into his bag and handed Mega a red notebook. "Here." Mega gave him a confused look. "Now you can talk to me"

Mega considered refusing the offer. But he just couldn't.

'My name is Mega' he wrote in tiny neat writing in the corner of the page.

"Well I'm glad to meet you, Mega"

~~~

Zelk and Mega sat next to each other at their local coffee shop. Zelk was telling a story about a time he sat through the wrong lesson for an hour. He waved his hands around dramatically as he spoke. Mega would occasionally giggle at Zelk's overdramatics or write a note in the now half-filled red notebook.

"-and then she said 'Mr Elk, you appear to be in the wrong classroom' and I said 'See that would be a problem if i was paying attention to what you were teaching anyway'."

Mega brought a hand up to his mouth as he chucked.

"So that's how I got detention."

'You're dumb' he wrote at the bottom of a page. It was mostly filled with Mega's comments, with two games of noughts and crosses scribbled in the corner and a small doodle of a butterfly in the margin.

"I knowww," Zelk dragged out the word for effect, "but what was I meant to do?"

'Maybe don't tell teachers that you weren't listening to them' he scribbled.

Zelk hit Mega lightly and playfully on the arm. "Shut up man"

~~~

It was New Year's Eve yet again and Mega and Zelk sat on Mega's bed watching their palms. Zelk was down to 28 words, since he wouldn't stop talking yesterday. His logic was that 'If you don't use them, that's words wasted'. Mega bounced his knee anxiously as the clock ticked closer to midnight. He was praying to get at least one word this year. Zelk noticed his anxiety and placed a hand comfortingly on his shoulder.

"Hey, it's gonna be fine man."

Mega nodded.

The clock struck midnight. Mega watched as the 0 on his palm was replaced with a 0. He would have cursed if he could.

3,045,687 appeared on Zelk's hand. He didn't seem to care as he looked over at Mega's hand. "Nothing again?" As he spoke, the number on his hand counted down slightly. Mega shook his head.

"Damn-" Zelk paused. "I'm sure you'll get some one day."

Mega pulled out the nearly used up red notebook. 'Yeah- and three million, that's pretty good man.'

"Huh? Oh yeah." Zelk looked down at his hand like he was noticing it for the first time. "Maybe I'm getting the words for both of us, huh." He stopped, looking at Mega's upset expression. "Hey, I'd give you mine if I could."

Mega gave a smile of thanks.

~~~

Zelk sang along loudly to the radio. He got to the end of a chorus and pointed dramatically at Mega. Mega smiled in embarrassment and began to hum as loudly as he could. Zelk waited for Mega to finish 'singing' his part before joining back in. Mega's humming was about as loud as Zelk's off-tune singing and they finished the song as a duet.

~~~

"Don't think I forgot about your birthday," Zelk said loudy, "You're not escaping The Present Giving that easily."

Mega sighed. Zelk handed him a badly-wrapped present. "Go on, unwrap it"

Mega tore the paper from the present to reveal a blue lined notebook with various minecraft stickers on the front. Mega couldn't hide his grin.

"Guess what it is!"

Mega looked from the notebook to Zelk and back to the notebook. Then he gave his most annoyed expression. Zelk ignored him.

"The old red notebook's completely full, so I thought I'd get you another one! What do you thinnnnk?"

Mega pulled out a pencil and wrote on the first page. 'It's really cool, I love it.'

"Good," Zelk said, and then giggled.

~~~

Another full year had passed. Zelk sat with his arms wrapped around Mega, whose face was bright red. He had been stressing out and Zelk found the easiest way to calm him down was a hug. That had been five minutes ago. He wouldn't let go. Help. Mega wasn't sure who the hug was for at this point but he'd decided to accept it. It was quite comforting after all. Zelk's hoodie smelt of lavender and it almost distracted him from the rapidly approaching New Year. He hardly expected anything, and yet, he was still nervous.

5

Mega held out his hand

4

Zelk watched the 0 on Mega's palm.

3

Mega prayed for at least one word. Just once. Please.

2

Nearly there-

1

Both boys watched with bated breath as the 0 faded and was replaced with a new number. 3. Three whole words.

"You did it! You got words" Zelk half-yelled, not even bothering to check his own hand. "How are you gonna use them- you'd better save them up, ooh this is exciting.-" Mega pressed a finger to Zelk's lips, silencing him. He looked Zelk directing in the eyes.

"I love you."

- Rose :D