09 ➳ Romantic Comedy

**unedited**

After that fun and breathtaking Wednesday night, Makoto and I were somewhat hesitant to speak to each other. I'd stopped by his apartment once, but I'd changed my mind and left almost immediately. What would our conversation even be like? The almost kiss we shared spun in my head like a non-stop merry-go-round. I couldn't stop thinking about it. About him. About us.

But it was also strange. I wasn't admitting to myself that I was in love with him. This imperfectly perfect boy I'd not quite fell for was spectacularly something else. He was sweet, kind, caring, thoughtful, energetic, calm, and handsome. My mind was always on him and his figure flowed through my hand, interminably.

Even on Thursday as I got dressed for my trip to the Aquarium, I couldn't think straight. I took the train early in the morning to the coffee shop, picked up a mocha, and hurried to the aquarium. It was very big on the inside, its ceilings stretched up millions of feet above my head. Tanks of sharks, whales, dolphins, and fish covered the main entrance.

"Hey Haru!" It was Alyssa. She was standing on the other side of the aquarium, near the first corridor. I hurried over after paying my ticket and met up with her. We started talking about Christmas and the New Year when I stopped in my tracks and stared at the tank beside me.

"Haru?"

I got caught in the moment, yet again. She stood before me, dressed in a nice floral skirt with a solid white scoop shirt. She gave me a goofy smile and took my hand.

"Everyone else already went ahead, and you're staring at the sharks," she said, laughing. I chucked as well, my voice unsteadily high. "Something up?"

"Oh! Uh, nope! Nothing, nope, nada, no I'm good!" I was babbling like a fucking idiot and she was giving me absurd looks.

"Okay, well I'm going to go on ahead, so if you want to catch up with us, you'd better hurry." She started towards the others at the end of the corridor, but this time, I grabbed her arm.

"I need to ask you something," I said, coldly. Our eyes met and she looked absolutely horrified. "Er-sorry that came out funny. I just need advice."

"On what?" She asked, suddenly interested. I placed my palms on my knees, nervously.

"Relationships," I gulped. "I like this guy and-"

"Wait, hold up!"

Goddamit, I slipped.

"Oh my God no way Haru!" She started hugging me and I had no idea why the hell she was. "I had no clue you played for the other team!"

"It slipped," I said, flushing. "Anyways, he's really amazing and nice but I have no clue how to tell him. I don't even know if he's gay or not." The more I let out how I really felt, the more I knew how close I was getting to Alyssa.

"So you almost kissed?" She confirmed. I struggled to speak so I nodded. "You should go for it. I mean, my ex-boyfriend and I were in the same situation as you two are right now."

"Really?"

"Yeah," she paused, thinking whether she should continue.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't feel comfortable," I said, quickly. She laughed and shook her head.

"I can trust you," she replied. She leaned on the edge of the bench and folded her hands in her lap.

"My boyfriend's name was Jake. He was really sweet and funny at first. We'd met in middle school and he seemed like a great guy. We almost kissed just like you and your crush did. He was always making jokes in class and he had this perfect smile that drew me in, frankly." She stopped and laughed. "Sorry, I sound like a melodramatic school-girl."

"It's cool," I said. "He sounds like a great guy."

"He turned out to be a dick," she added. "He was actually fake and fucking annoying. I couldn't believe I'd dated him. I'd found him with a prostitute the other day and I was done with him. But I couldn't stop myself. I smiled at him everyday and laughed with him, pretending there was nothing wrong." A tear slid down her cheek and she quickly wiped it. "Sorry, I just...sorry, Haru, we should go seriously."

I wanted to stop her but I didn't. So I stood up and followed her to the rest of the group. As we walked, I felt an awkward sensation rising in my chest.

"You know," she said, turning around, walking backwards. "Your life is like a romantic comedy."

"Not really," I muttered, under my breath.

"Yeah it is!" She argued. "The guy you like always laughs at you and you always get mad at him. It's a perfect relationship, actually."

"Thanks for listening," I said, putting on a smile. It wasn't fake this time.

"Anytime," she replied. "I think you should go for it. Make your move, Haru." She stared at me and kept smiling and I beamed, delighted. I was going to go for it. I was going to try.

"Coach! Where are you?" Someone hollered from across the aquarium.

"We'd better go!" She said, grabbing my hand. As we met up with everyone else, I started to open up and actually try talking. Everyone was alright actually, not as bad as I'd thought. Sam turned out to be decent, just pushy at times. I became somewhat close friends with a boy named Tadashi and a girl named Grace.

When I left, I was looking forward to Saturday with Alyssa. She and I had also agreed to invite Grace, Tadashi, and Sam along just for fun. My mind filled with our plans and possibilities when they were interrupted by a gorgeous, tall, brown-haired boy at the train station. He was leaning against a column and checking his phone.

And he was crying.

CLIFF HANGER BC YES

WHY IS THIS FIGURE CRYING?

DO WE KNOW WHO THIS FIGURE IS?

I'M GONNA MAKE YOU GUYS WAIT MWAHAHAHA!

Short chapter sorry :-( School started again and I'm taking the SAT's soon plus I have some music competitions coming up.

Btw my birthday's next weekend lol January 11th :-) yeah whatever lmao

Stay tuned!

-Monty