Chapter Nineteen: Gamble

Chapter Nineteen
Gamble

"Disowned?"

He looked away, averting my questioning gaze. My hand gripped the folder so tight, the corners almost crumpled. The word didn't sound decent in my ears. It's one I don't wanna hear whenever I think about my family. Isang rason kung bakit kahit ayaw ko ang mga bagay ay ginagawa ko para sa kanila.

Pakiramdam ko lahat ng dugo ko sa mukha ay nawala. "Are you kidding?"

"No," seryoso niyang sabi.

Is that why he's living with the Jilliene Villamar and her family? He's disowned? Is that why he's gone to Barcelona? To work his own keep and help the family he's been sheltering with? Is that why I found him all the way here?

Napahawak ako sa sentido. I already been having too much on my plate and it doesn't end there! Dumagdag pa ito! Everything is so confusing that the weeniest brain cells I have left don't seem to take it all at once.

"Why? What happened, Eros? Did you fight with your parents?" Ibinalik ko sa ang folder sa bag ko saka lumapit sa kaniya. Nag-papanic ko siyang tiningnan. "Tell me. I might be able to do something about it."

"What would you do, señorita?" tanong niya. "Hindi na nila babawiin 'yon."

"They still can, Eros," giit ko kahit hindi ko pa ganoong kakilala ang mga Vastia. "If only you'll talk to them, they would-"

"I can't. They're done with me. You can't do anything about it," he said without any hints of optimism.

"I can!" agap ko. "I'll be your fiancé!"

His lips pursed at me. It's only a few moments after he gave me a skeptical look.

"I'll have to do something about it! We can talk to my parents and they will talk to yours, Eros." Tiningnan ko siya ng may halong pag-asa. "For sure, your parent's wouldn't let this pass. I'm a Castellón, Eros. And no one says no to a Castellón. Hindi hahayaan ng pamilya mo 'to dahil pinangako nila!"

I almost sound like proposing! My god, am I?!

Hindi nagpalakas ang sinabi ko. With a nonchalant look, he stared at me. My knees wobbled while I shook my head miserably. Disowned? No. That's just worst. They can't possibly do that to him. The Vastias are reputable in the industry of business. That's what I know. I've never heard or read this kind of news in any pages in the internet. This will shake their reputation.

"Your parents probably do not know the eldest of the Vastias is renounced, then. Hindi naman nila isasapubliko 'yon. That'll ruin their moral credibility."

Hindi ako nakapagsalita. Eros' stare turned sterner.

"Hindi mo ba naitanong kung kailan pa ang pangakong kasal na iyan sa magulang mo, señorita?"

Naalala ko agad ang sinabi ni Mamá. She told me it was binded years ago and that they didn't have direct conversations with the Vastias after binding the agreement. Kampante lang si Mamá na hindi nakakalimutan ng Vastia 'yon dahil matunog ang Silveria sa mga nakalipas na taon hanggang ngayon.

Napakagat ako ng pang-ibabang labi. "Years ago."

"I'm disowned three years ago." His voice turned rough when he answered. Umiling ako.

"We can still fix that." Hinapit ko ang braso niya. The handle of my bag slid down to my arms. Nagulat siya sa biglang ginawa ko pero hindi niya tinanggal. Bumaba pa ang tingin niya roon para mapansin ang panginginig ko. "You can still ask for forgiveness-"

"I wouldn't want that," Eros said egoistically.

"Bakit ayaw mo? You're that mad with them?" tanong ko.