Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Ellie

Dearest Ellie,

I hope this doesn't startle you. I sat outside and wrote this in the car after our incredible night together. I should have asked for a phone number, but I didn't think about it until you had dashed that pretty behind inside. You see, I'm a little senseless when you're in my presence. You're such a stunning vision, a whisper of perfection, a blossomed beauty. I hope that we can keep in touch. If you're interested, perhaps phone me? I don't want to lose touch with the girl who has stolen my heart. It may come across as strong, but I feel more than I ever believed I was capable of feeling when I'm with you. You're an embodiment of an angel, and I'm counting down the days until I'm in Waco and close to you again, Ellie Livingston.

Sincerely, Leroy

At the bottom of the letter that Leroy wrote me was a phone number. A jumble of digits that set us on the course to a whirlwind romance. We spent hours on the telephone. We got to know each other through conversation that may have been long-distance, but the smoothness of his voice and the gentle tone of his sweet nothings made me feel so close to him. Now, a month later, the paper was wrinkled and tearing at the corner from how often I reread it because the feeling that it gave me was the same as it had been the first time. Butterfly central.

By some miracle, my mother allowed me to spend the rest of summer in Castle Rock, on a strict set of conditions, of course. More miraculous still was that I could spend it with Leroy, in his home. Our mothers had spoken on the phone and agreed that as long as we were in separate bedrooms and had a ten o'clock curfew, it was fine.

However, there was still the small matter of being accepted by his upper-class parents. Mom's salary wouldn't have been a quarter of what his parents made, and I was nervous to think that I might not fit in or be the sort of woman that they want their son to date. What if they thought I was a gold digger? I'd expressed these concerns to him on the phone and he'd said that it was ridiculous to think like that, but still, I couldn't help but worry.

"You sure you've got everything?" Momma asked as I bounced on the spot, watching the boarding chart and waiting for my flight number to be called. "You didn't pack a lot."

"Momma, I've got a secure system set up," I assured her, still not one hundred percent focused on her face or words. "As long as I can use the washing machine, and I'm sure that I can, I've got all that I need."

I was nothing if not organized. I had a rotation of outfits that I could mix and match. Accessories to spice them up and seven different lipstick colors to ensure that I could pop a perfect pout no matter what the occasion.

"Be safe, and I'd really appreciate it if you could give your future some thought," Momma pointed an authoritative finger at me. "I know that I can't afford to put you through college, but—"

"Come on, Momma," I cut her off. "I'm going to take a small business course when I've got enough cash. And one day, I'll own a skincare line. I've told you all of this. There's no chance that I could work as a measly employee for the rest of my life— no offense."

Momma smiled, although it wasn't convincing. "I know that you don't want to end up like me but be realistic. And don't base your future on this boy because these things can be fleeting."

I frowned at the pessimistic woman who'd raised me. "I'm not basing anything off Leroy. I've wanted to run a business since I was a freshman. I'll do it with or without him. And what we have isn't fleeting. He loves me, Momma."

"Whatever you say," she said. "Look, I mean it, behaving. His mother assured me that she'd phone and have you sent home if there was even a hint of acting up. You don't be alone with that boy in his room, you keep your hands to yourselves, and don't even think about touching alcohol. You hear?"

icon lock

Show your support for Tay, and continue reading this story

by Tay
@tayxwriter
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION. Sometimes home isn't a place, it's a person. F...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 28 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @tayxwriter.