Chapter Fifteen

Nik's P.O.V

I followed behind her quietly with a frown on my face. I was getting worried about my Little Wolf, she was getting increasingly more emotional, to the point where she was now hurting herself and running off. I had no idea how to help her and that bothered me more than I would like to admit. I wanted to know what it was that was eating away at her and why the others could know but I couldn't.

Since I hadn't the foggiest about what was going on I decided to keep an eye on her and the others to see if I could figure it out. Not that I wasn't always keeping an eye on her already, I just had this need to keep her safe, and make sure that she's okay all the time. Despite the fact that I knew full well that she could protect herself.

But that was what love was I suppose. And I knew that I had fallen hard for this amazing woman and usually I would be pushing her away but this time I knew that I couldn't do that. I knew that my Little Wolf was far too important for me to push her away, and she made me want to be a person who was actually worthy of her.

We made it back to the house and Jamie immediately hid herself away in her room with a sketch pad and her headphones. I didn't expect to see her for a while and so instead I turned my mind to another issue. Markus. I trusted that what she felt was true, he was coming for her, which meant that I had to protect her, and find him before he found us. I had several hybrids and other contacts looking into it for me.

The minute I found him I would tell her and let her decide how to handle the situation, but until then my focus was on fixing whatever it was that was causing her to act out this way. I sighed as I threw myself down on the couch, letting my eyes slip closed as I listened to Jamie upstairs. I could hear the sound of her music through her headphones, the scratching of pencil against paper but above all the rhythmic beating of her heart and the blood rushing through her veins.

I couldn't make sense of how she was feeling, the scent of her emotions was confused, a mix of emotions that made it so that I couldn't pin down a single one. I had this irrational need to comfort her and make sure that she was never sad again. Right now however all I could do was wait for her to calm down. It would be of no use for me to try and talk to her right now with the way she was feeling.

'What on Earth did you do to her? She seems more angry than she was before.' Elijah asked as he entered the room and took a seat on one of the chairs in the room.

'Hell if I know, brother. One minute she was fine and the next she was wound up tighter than a drum and prattling on about how her 'world shifted on its axis'.' I tell him without even opening my eyes.

'Well what happened between that moment and the next?' He questioned.

I sighed deeply. 'Bloody nothing. We were doing the same thing we'd been doing for hours. I was stroking through her fur and she had her head in my lap. Nothing changed, nothing at all.' I groaned and rubbed at my face. 'You'd think after a thousand years I would be able to understand women and yet there is nothing that confuses me more.'

'That I understand completely. I definitely prefer the simplicity of men. Though I also know why Jamie acted the way she did. I'm not going to tell you because you should have figured it out by now and if you haven't then you don't deserve to know.' Elijah commented and I looked at him sharply to see his grin.

'Really? Not even going to hint at what it is? Help your brother out?' I tried.

'Absolutely not. I am not going to be on the end of Jamie's rage. You can stay in the dog house for all I care Niklaus, this is one quarrel I am not getting in the middle of.' His tone was final as he rose from his seat and exited the room.

'Lot of use you are.' I grumbled to myself as I settled back on the couch and refocused on Jamie above me. She was still drawing as far as I could tell and her emotions seemed to have settled somewhat. I took this as a good sign and allowed the beating of her heart to lull me to sleep.