Chapter 10

It was now mid-March, three weeks after Quinn's passing and I still hadn't healed and don't think I ever will. Her funeral was short and sweet but very emotional, too. These past few weeks have been really gloomy and uneventful until today. Asher and I were walking to class when we started talking about our pizza date that never got rescheduled. "Skye, I don't think we should go out," Asher said. My heart dropped. I mean, it's not like I liked him a lot, but why would he cancel our date? "I see the way you two look at each other and it's obvious you are meant to be together," he added. "Who?" I asked. "You and Liam," he answered.

"Liam and I do not look at each other in any certain way," I scoffed. "Yes, you do, whether you want to admit it or not. I like you, Skye, but that boy is clearly in love with you, and I don't want to get in the way of that." "He does not love me! He likes me, but it's nothing serious," I said trying to convince him and myself. "You're so much like Emma," Asher said to me. "Emma who?" I asked, confused by who he was talking about. "Emma in Jane Austen's book, the one who doesn't realize that her true love is right in front of her all along. You and Liam are meant to be, you just need to realize it before it's too late," Asher continued saying. His words actually sounded wise to me. Was I really like Emma and overlooking the guy for me was right in front of my eyes all along?

A few hours later, I saw everyone in my grade getting this invitation to a party. I soon found out it was Kendra's sweet sixteen party. Kendra and I were in the same friend group, why were strangers getting an invitation and I wasn't? I tried to not think about it too much but couldn't help but wonder. When I got home that night, I found the invitation in my mail box, so that was good. I asked Luna if she was going so we were going to go in the same car.

On Saturday night, at Kendra's party, it was this huge room with loud music blaring and neon lights everywhere. It looked like a nightclub and I could see there was clearly alcohol here. Maybe coming to this party was a bad idea. Luna caught up with some other friends and I was left standing alone in a crowd full of people. However, through all the people dancing, I could see a blonde-headed guy sitting down at this table. His back was faced toward me but I could tell it was Liam. What would Liam be doing at a party like this? I started to walk up to him but soon stopped in my tracks. I don't know why but I was nervous. So, I ended up walking away before he could see me and formed myself into a conversation with Luna and some of our other friends.

After about thirty minutes, I decided that I should probably leave because I wasn't having any fun and I was really tired. So, I sneaked out one of the back doors after calling my brother to pick me up. When I was getting into his car, he asked me, "Was it really that bad?" "No, it was fun, I'm just tired and I wasn't having a good time," I answered him. A few minutes later, after we were about half way home, I got a text from Liam.

Liam: Did you leave?

Skye: I wasn't having any fun and didn't have anyone to talk to

Liam: I would've made sure you had fun

Skye: You were a little busy dancing with your friends

Liam: I would've sat down and talked to you the entire time if that's what you wanted

I was reading those words he just texted me and I was so thankful to have someone like Liam. What did I do to deserve this guy? I wanted to go back to the party at this point but decided not to since it was almost midnight. The cops ended up breaking the party up and caught them with the alcohol so some of the students were under suspension. Thankfully, Luna and Liam got out of there in time to not get caught.

"Are you going to the baseball game today?" Luna asked me at school on Monday. "Yeah, I was planning on it, are you?" I asked her. "I don't think so, I have to work." "Oh, that's fine," I respectfully responded. "But you should have Liam go with you," she added. "Why?" I asked her. "I don't know, it'll give you two the chance to hang out," she said. So, I asked Liam if he was going to go, I mean why wouldn't he? His brother is on the team. "Are you going because of my brother?" he asked. "What? No, I haven't liked your brother since freshman year, I was just gonna go to support the team," I answered him. "Okay, I guess I'll go," he responded.