Chapter 25 - Inner Turmoil

The hospital visit wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for the stitches. During his examination, the doctor had found an inch long cut above his left ear which explained where all the blood had come from. She was swift with her work, but that didn't change the fact that David felt like a stuffed doll being sewn back together.

Mr. Black disappeared during the procedure, pulling out his phone and speaking urgently in the waiting room. David knew he was probably contacting his network of informants to find out what happened. The demon had been antsy after finding David injured. It was a surprise that he was able to wait till they got to the hospital before calling anyone.

Once he was all sewn up, the doctor ran a few more tests to make sure he didn't have a concussion before finally releasing him. Mr. Black escorted David back home, bandages and all, but not before inspecting the doctors handiwork himself.

"Should we go to the police?" Mr. Black asked after finding no leads from his informants. They were now in his car heading back to the penthouse. "Whoever did this to you should be locked behind bars."

"No. It's fine. It's not a big deal." David replied groggily, having been laced with enough pain killers to take down a horse. "Sorry I was late for work by the way."

Mr. Black paused, his eyes on the road as he shook his head in disbelief. "That is the least of our worries David. I should have tried tracking you sooner but..." He glanced towards him. "I didn't want to violate your privacy."

It was clear to him by now that the demon could easily tell where David was at any given moment. After all, that's what he was doing when they first met, but instead of invading David's privacy last night, Mr. Black had respected his wishes and backed off. As a matter of fact, the dozens of calls he had ignored from the demon were probably Mr. Black's way of hoping that David would trust him enough to tell him where he was himself had he answered any of them. Thus negating the need for his informants in the first place.

David then recalled back when Mr. Black had suddenly asked if he trusted him. Back then, David's answer, had he voiced it, would have been a 'hell no!' Now though, the man had proven that he was able to keep his word.

"Can you remember who did it?" Mr. Black continued to pester him. "What did they look like? Was it someone you knew?"

"I just owed someone some money, that's all. They won't be bothering me again though."

"...You paid them back?"

"I got paid this week, remember?" David explained like it was common sense. "One shark down, a shit-ton more to go."

Mr. Black grew silent after that and continued to drive. David let out a breath as they passed the police station, glad the man did not insist on going to the authorities. Then again, he probably understood that David would have gotten himself in trouble if the police dug too deep into his background.

"I know I agreed not to butt into your personal life, but this is too much." Mr. Black suddenly scoffed. "I need you to tell me everyone you owe money to."

David tried to argue, but Mr. Black's hand shot from the steering wheel to his mouth, shushing him instantly. "Please David. I can't find you like this again. Just let me help you!"

He considered the offer, then turned towards the window. "Fine."

Mr. Black smiled in relief. As soon as they arrived at the penthouse, David grabbed a clean set of clothes to change into. Mr. Black, concerned over the various groans of pain that the human made, hovered nearby and offered to help with any clothing articles that proved too difficult. Eventually he allowed to man to help him remove his shirt once David realized it was too painful for him to lift his arms above his head. As he did, he noticed Mr. Black's eyes flash red for a split second once he got a better look at the bruises that were blossoming all along his sides. The demon turned away as soon as he realized David noticed.