Chapter 13

As I step outside the airport tonight, I am greeted with the fresh North Carolina air. Sitting on a nearby bench, I'm frequently greeted with "Hey, how you doin's" by passers on their way in or out. Feels so good to be home. I sit taking in the pleasant, hospitable atmosphere around me until my people-watching is suddenly interrupted by a loud squeal of my name. Soon I come face to face with my ecstatic little sister, Jade.

"Ari! O. M. G! I've missed you so much!" We both wrap our arms around each other in an excited hug.

"Jade you've gotten so big!" I stand back and look at her, my beam unwavering.

"I hope I get the same treatment," I hear my older brother Charles say from behind me. I turn with a wide grin and run into his arms. He engulfs me in a big bear hug lifting me off the ground. "We should get going," Charles utters through a laugh.

After a long two hour drive we arrive at my beloved childhood home. The vinyl fence surrounding the house welcomes me with open arms. As we make our way through the solid wood door, I am instantly transported back to my adolescent days of running around the house in denim jump suits and jelly sandals.

"Ariah honey, is that you?" My mother's silvery voice comes closer to my ears as she approaches from the dining room. "Get over here girl!" She ushers me over into a tight loving hug.

"I've missed you guys so much." I smile through my watering eyes and quickly wipe them away.

My mother grabs my arm and drags me with her towards the dining room. "Honey you have to fill us in on your big city life. Charlie take her bags up to her room," mom barks waving him away. Jade is quickly in tow. I begin filling my mother in on all there is to know about Georgia and the city life. Jade eagerly asks an array of questions and I happily answer.

"Oh dear, how is Gabrielle? And Devin, is it? Yes, yes. How are they?"

"They're good mom, Gabi is just loving the city and Devin has opened his own tattoo shop now. He's doing good in business." She smiles fondly.

"That's great dear. I've always liked that Devin. He's such a cutie. You guys would look great together."

"Ew," Jade screws up her face and I can't help the laugh that bubbles out.

"Yes, "ew" Jade. Keep that thought of guys for as long as possible."

She nods and is off on her way. "Enough about me mom, how have you been?" I ask while shifting on the couch to face her.

"I've been fine sweetie, but don't think we're done talking about you." She points her chubby finger at me prompting an affectionate smile to grace my face. It feels like ages since I've seen my mother. Sitting here staring at her warm brown eyes and caramel skin, my heart swells in joy. My phone buzzes in my pocket causing me to direct my attention to it instead of my mother. A text message notification pops up in my screen from Silas.

Have you made it safely?

A small smile floats around my lips and I quickly respond before shoving my phone in my pocket. Suspicion apparent in her face, my mother folds her arms, silently waiting for me to explain. I stand and kiss her cheek before heading to bed. "I love you mom, I'll tell you later."

"You better," I hear her yell from downstairs.

I wake up the next morning to the delicious smell of breakfast. I roll over to check my phone and note another text from Silas.

Good, I'm picking you up tomorrow. Don't resist.

I shake my head and type back:

You don't even know when I'll be home.