SIX

There was nothing that could be heard but the serene whoosh of the afternoon breeze, along with the creaking sound of the swing as I gently pushed her back and forth. With the tip of the orange sun nearing to touch the horizon and the skies drawn by purple clouds over the vast clearing of spring, it was all too perfect to be in a moment with her, for now was the first time we ever talked again since school drifted the both of us apart. But now that we both graduated from different schools, I could spend the rest of the summer with her.

"High school sucks, you know?"

I stopped the swing. This time she hopped off and turned to face me while wrapping her hand around the chains, where my hand was clasped tightly below. The swing was what kept us apart and the distance between us had only been this close and not further than that, even though I had always wished of closing it. I respected her boundaries, but we would always end up staring at each other as if we were not contented, not ceasing to look for each other's soul through our eyes as the time passed.

"What are your plans for the future?" She stepped backwards, turning away from me.

I only watched her as her head was lifted up and her eyes stared up at the skies, mesmerizing how perfectly imperfect she was.

I had no idea what my plans for the future would be, but I was sure to know in my heart, that she was my certainty in this world full of uncertainties.

"Don't know," I lied.

She gaped back at me, nodding obliviously. "I don't plan on going to college."

My brows furrowed, and all I could say was one word, given me being a short-spoken person, which actually had been one among my New Year's Resolution list yet I hadn't gotten it in check. "Why?"

"'Cause college sucks even more." She smiled and chuckled when I made a tiny frown. "Kidding, Enzo. But seriously, I'm not going to college. . . I'm leaving Italy tomorrow morning."

What? I stared her, thinking that she was trying to pull one of those pranks again with the way she was looking at me seriously. And besides, how on earth was she able to leave the country right after high school? She never told me of her departure.

"Uh-oh, bad news! No incoming prank for today."

"I'm not buying it," I told her in a half-annoyed tone, but all I felt was my heart sinking at the sight of her melancholic eyes looking to the side.

"Well, you should be. I was recruited by P.H.A.N.T.A.S.M recently."

Now that was not one of those pranks, which sent me a mixed feeling of remorse, disappointment and frustration. Was she telling the truth then? But if she really were then that just meant. . .

"It's a government organization in Olympia."

Olympia? Did she mean, that Olympia?

"Yeah, you know what I mean." She exhaled, eyes gazing to a distance. "I'm gonna be an operative soon. You know those people who fight the bad guys? It's your typical detective movie, but it comes with its perks. Aside from getting superhuman abilities I heard it's a promising life you get to have when you live there."

I nodded, knowing that Olympia was one of the best cities of 2068, but the fact that she was leaving tomorrow didn't make me happy at all. I had a lot in my mind and saying that I wanted her to stay was one of them, but of course I couldn't. I didn't want to be the reason for her dreams to be intercepted just because of my selfishness. If going to Olympia and becoming an operative there was what made her happy, then I'd support her for it as much as it saddened me.

lost souls ➳ to the edge of the sky | ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें