Chapter 9: Mama

No answer. I peeked through the window, hoping to see Ms. Walker cutting her son's hair like I did all those years ago.

The scene was gone and so were the happy years we all spent together.

The house was dark.

I rang the doorbell again.

Soft footsteps echoed through the house. The front door opened, and this time I wasn't lying in the snow when I faced Ms. Walker.

"Petey..." she started as she held her blue robe tightly with her hand.

She looked in pain.

"Sorry to wake you, Mama," I apologized, using the name she always told me to call her.

"Don't worry, dear. You didn't wake me. I don't sleep much these days."

I just nodded in response. She looked me over, tears started to form in her eyes. Her eyes were the same emerald green as Aaron's, but the wrinkles of age is what made them different.

"Come on in, Pete." She gestured into the house.

I rubbed my shoes on the welcoming mat and stepped in. I wondered why Aaron's shoes weren't by the door. His black coat wasn't hanging on the coat rack either. I didn't smell fresh baked cookies or hear soft Christmas tunes. I didn't feel the warmth that the loving home usually held.

The house was so dark and cold.

I glanced at the couch where Aaron and I cuddled together every Christmas to watch movies. Photos of my best friend filled the spot above the fireplace. I could see his growth over the years by looking at each of the pictures. Over the years, he grew. But his eyes stayed the same.

Always warm.

I looked over at Mama. She was staring distantly as if she was watching her entire past in this house. She clutched the spot over her heart.

"I'm happy to see you, Petey. But why are you here?" She whispered out in the silent room.

"I need to ask Aaron something."

At the sound of her son's name, she started to sob. I watched her, shocked by her outburst.

"Why are you crying, Mama?" I wondered aloud as I held her shoulders gently.

"He's gone, Petey," she choked out.

I didn't understand her words. I didn't accept them.

No one makes sense these days.

Why is everyone lying to me?

I walked up the stairs, knowing exactly where to go to get to Aaron's room. I pushed open the wooden door with his name happily spelled out on the front.

"Aaron..."