𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒈𝒍𝒂𝒔𝒔

¨. ༢ ͎۪۫  ❪ 𝑯𝑶𝑼𝑹𝑮𝑳𝑨𝑺𝑺 ❫  ... ❜ ⁰⁰

you set fire to a
nation that was
yours to save ....

¨. ༢ ͎۪۫  ❪ 𝑺𝑼𝑴𝑴𝑨𝑹𝒀 ❫  . . . ❜ ⁰¹

⠀ ⠀ 𝑾𝑯𝑬𝑵 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑾𝑶𝑹𝑳𝑫 𝑭𝑰𝑹𝑺𝑻 𝑬𝑹𝑼𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑫 into flames and cities started collapsing, when civilisations were decimated and new nations were built on the remains of those that fell before them, the human race's survival had already b...

⠀ ⠀ 𝑾𝑯𝑬𝑵 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑾𝑶𝑹𝑳𝑫 𝑭𝑰𝑹𝑺𝑻 𝑬𝑹𝑼𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑫 into flames and cities started collapsing, when civilisations were decimated and new nations were built on the remains of those that fell before them, the human race's survival had already been timed. a ticking clock strung up on a thin wire, broadcasted for all the world to see; seconds rushing by, minutes slowing down only to speed up, hours becoming man's worst enemy and days stretching until the sun and the moon became indistinguishable.

⠀ ⠀ and when the virus first appeared, no one was surprised. not even when children started vanishing from their mother's loving arms like clockwork, one after the other, with no pattern. no common denominator.⠀ ⠀ but when athena was taken, the quiet was almost immediately interrupted by sudden riots in the camp where she'd grown up. insurgents, wicked had taken to calling them, a group of armed hunters who wanted answers. not for the virus, not for the cure, but for the missing children.

⠀ ⠀ but wicked had long ago ran out of time, and when athena woke up in a metal cage, her neck damp with thick beads of sweat, surprise was the last thing she'd expected. in the back of her mind, she already knew she would be next, she'd been top of her class in everything, of course wicked would choose her.⠀ ⠀ so instead of fighting the heavy sedative and the sudden memory loss, she welcomed it. better to forget than to live knowing what she'd done to them.

⠀ ⠀ athena was quickly thrown into the glade's daily hussle. sunrise, nature, looming walls, work, inhumane screams and roars and guttural moans during long and restless nights.⠀ ⠀ but if anyone were to look close enough, they could see it in the way her eyes moved across the ivy━there was movement beneath murky waters. there was something rising inside her. a need to run, to understand, to know. it felt similar to thirst, a thought you can never fully drown, no matter how much water you drink. it's always there. lingering.

⠀ ⠀ but she wanted answers, in fact, she desperately needed them. even if that meant following thomas to their own death. even if that meant burning the earth one more time. even if that meant giving up every one, and everything, she had slowly learned to love.

𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐅 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐄:
this work is my creation. i do not like plagiarism, inspiration to be taken or translations of my own work, not even with my consent. i've had to take legal action in the past against plagiarism, and will not hesitate to do so again if i find that anyone has inspired/based themselves off something i spent time creating. i apologise if this is coming off as extremely conceited or aggressive, but writing and coming up with stories is something that takes a lot of effort, dedication and time on my end, and i would rather my works remain mine.