Chapter 31: Flash Flood Warning

Mini A/N – There weren't any time skips in this chapter, so the episode it was based off of from Steven Universe would be 'Crack The Whip'. I believe it is from season three and is episode eighteen. Enjoy! 😘

    It had been three days since you had seen Jasper. You figured that she was just going to leave to blow off some steam and then come back, but that wasn't the case at all. You sighed heavily, twisting your key in the lock of the bookstore door. You pulled on the handle, making sure it was shut tight before you began your trek down the boardwalk towards your house. It was around five twenty-three; a little later than you would close on most days. You wanted to clean up a little before you left, so that's why it was so late. Your (e/c) eyes turned towards the sky, admiring the pinks and purples of the setting sun. It was a beautiful sight; nothing short of what Beach City would produce every night. You hummed quietly to yourself, adjusting your bag when your gaze caught onto Sour Cream. He was resting peacefully on the beach in a lounge chair, his bright blue eyes shut gently. You decided to make your way down the beach to say hello, when you noticed Amethyst, Connie, and Steven in the water further down. You brushed your fingers across Sour Cream's shoulder as you passed, giving him a wave. He smiled softly, waving back at you before closing his eyes again and laying back down. You chuckled softly, carefully walking down to the shore and squatting down in front of the ocean. "(Y/n)", Connie and Steven exclaimed at the same time, waving at you. You chuckled softly, waving back at them as Amethyst made another round on her surfboard across the water.
    "'Sup, (y/n)!" You waved at the purple quartz, smiling softly as you sat down in the sand fully.
    "Did you just get off work", Steven asked innocently, splashing Connie with water.
    "Sure did", you said with a sigh, resting your elbows on your knees. "Looks like you guys had fun today. I saw you running up and down the boardwalk earlier." Connie giggled, splashing Steven back.
    "It was super fun! I don't think I've ever had this much fun in one day."
    "Yeah, we should spend more time with Amethyst. She's the best", Steven said with a laugh, stars in his eyes.
    "You're the best", Connie said, dousing the teen in water again.
    "Nuh uh, you're the best", Steven countered with a chuckle, making Connie laugh. You giggled quietly along with them, but all of your laughing was cut short when the very Earth under you began to shake. A huge orange monster climbed out of the ocean, its footsteps making the beach rumble. It approached Sour Cream, shaking its fur like a dog trying to get dry. It growled lowly at the white haired boy, causing him to stumble out of his lounge chair in fear and take off in the opposite direction. It sniffed the air a couple of times, doing an one-hundred and eighty degree turn before growling at the children in the ocean. You were practically right next to the thing, but it didn't pay you any attention in the slightest. "Uh — I remember you too, buddy", Steven said nervously, a pink orb forming around him and Connie. You caught sight of the creature's chest before it jumped in the air, ready to pounce on the two. Your (e/c) eyes widened in surprise, your lips parting slightly as well. That's the gem Jasper showed me the day she came back from The Great North, you thought, standing to your feet quickly to get out of the way as Amethyst wrapped a spiked whip around the monster. She pulled on it hard, hanging from the gem's back for dear life until it poofed. When the dust cleared, you saw Amethyst laying flat on her back, the gem at her feet. You quickly crawled over to her just as Steven and Connie got out of the water.
    "Amethyst, that was amazing", Connie exclaimed, smiling brightly.
    "Whoa! Are you okay", Steven asked. The gem sighed, closing her eyes for a moment.
    "Not a pretty win...but I'll take it", she said, smirking slightly. You let out a relieved sigh, chuckling before nudging her shoulder. "What? Were you worried about me?"
    "Of course, Amy", you said softly. She smiled at you before Connie began to speak again.
    "That was the monster we fought in the snow. At least it looked like it was", Connie said as Steven bubbled the gem.
    "I think you'd remember a face like that", Amethyst said with a scoff, a small smile playing along her lips.
    "Well...there were two of them", Steven replied, pressing the top of the bubble. It disappeared with a small whoosh, making you rub your eyes to make sure they weren't playing tricks on you.
    "Two of them", Amethyst asked softly, her facial expression holding fear and confusion. Suddenly, the Ocean Jasper gem sprung out of the water with your Jasper on top. She had a smug smirk on her face, her hair confined into a ponytail at the back of her head because of her...helmet?
    "Rose", Jasper said, her voice just as raspy as it had always been.
    "Jasper", Steven said back, his voice cracking.
    "Glad I found you", the quartz soldier said with a chuckle like she didn't already know where he was. "I've decided to build my own army! Where's the rest of yours?" You gasped softly at the fact she revealed the secret about her army to him. She must be feeling cocky.
    "They're not here right now", Steven yelled angrily, causing Amethyst to shush him.
    "So it's just you lot", Jasper asked, narrowing her eyes.
    "Doesn't matter. I'm gonna whip your butt...all by myself", Amethyst shouted, slinging her whip towards the corrupted gem. It raised its front paws, rearing back. The monster then ran straight through the four of you, making you jump out of the way. "Stay back, (y/n)", Amethyst said quickly. "I got Jasper. You guys handle that dope", she said, speaking to Steven and Connie. You were sure the two could handle themselves pretty well, so you turned your attention back to the fight between Amethyst and Jasper that hadn't begun yet. I knew this would have happened eventually, but not this soon.
    "I came here to fight Rose. Not some runt", Jasper said, her fists clinched at her sides. The sheer height and size difference between the two quartzes had you fearing for Amethyst's life. You had to remember that the smaller of the two was a Crystal Gem though, meaning she had to have some kind of fighting experience. There was still a huge chance that she'd be able to beat Jasper, but the logical part of your mind didn't want to believe it.
    "You think you can just keep showing up, and picking fights with us? Why don't you get a life", Amethyst shouted, clinching her whips in her hands tightly. Your (e/c) eyes darted back to Jasper's form, wanting to see her reaction.
    "Fighting is my life! It's what I was made for. It's what you were made for too, runt."
    "So", Amethyst said with a shrug. "I've got other stuff going on. I can fight, just...fine!" The purple quartz shot her whip in Jasper's direction quickly, just for her to catch the end of it with one hand. You gulped for the smaller gem, taking a few steps back away from the fight.
    "Well then...let's see it!" Jasper then snatched the end of Amethyst's whip, yanking her forward. Amethyst yelled in surprise, but before she could even finish her scream completely, Jasper kicked her in the stomach, sending her flying backwards. You rubbed your own abdomen as the bigger gem dashed forward, curling herself into a ball. She ran over Amethyst several times, way too quick for the Crystal Gem to even react. Jasper chuckled, taking a few steps forward to stand in front of the other gem. "You're not even trying! Is it because you know you're already a failure?" Amethyst struggled to stand, looking up at Jasper from her hands and knees. "You're a quartz soldier...just like me. But you're not like me — are you?" The roar of the corrupted gem made your head snap over towards it to see how Connie and Steven were doing. They were keeping the monster at bay for the most part, but not necessarily fighting it. Jasper chuckled, making you look back over at her. "You're...small!" Jasper then uppercutted Amethyst, making her body fly up in the air. The quartz continued to pummel the other gem quickly, bringing her fist down on top of her head, knocking her back down to the ground again.
    "Amethyst", Steven called in a worried tone, taking his attention off of the monster for a second.
    "Are you that desperate for troops, Rose?! That you keep a defect like this", Jasper asked, gesturing towards Amethyst. You were about to make your way over to the smaller quartz to help her up, but she managed to do so on her own.
    "Rose said, I'm perfect...the way I am", Amethyst said weakly, her form visibly shaking.
    "Then she had low standards", Jasper said darkly, looking down at Amethyst as if she were scum. That sentence obviously angered Amethyst to the point of no return. The purple gem charged at Jasper, using the same dashing technique the bigger quartz used earlier. "You, could have been me", Jasper shouted, her foot coming in hard contact with Amethyst, sending her flying once more. "And what are you instead?" You gasped quietly as Amethyst hit the ground headfirst, Steven and Connie shouting her name. "Just a joke", Jasper spat, poofing the smaller gem with her helmet instantly. You clinched the end of your shirt in your hands as Connie and Steven charged at the quartz soldier. A bright light blinded you and Jasper both, causing the two of you to raise your arms to protect your eyes. You blinked slowly, in front of you being a teenage girl with Connie and Steven nowhere in sight. "You fused?!" You gasped again, a bright smile playing on your lips as you looked back at the fusion. They were the perfect mixture of Steven and Connie. The young girl's long hair and skin tone with Steven's clothes and gem. You giggled, forgetting for a moment that you were watching a fight happen, but you were quickly reminded when Jasper charged headfirst at them. They blocked her attack with their shield, pushing her back harshly before allowing the weapon to disappear. Steven's pink lion roared loudly, the sound throwing the corrupted gem towards Jasper. It attempted to run away, but Jasper grabbed its tail, pulling it back.
    "(Y/n)! Here", Steven and Connie's fusion said, tossing you Amethyst's gem. "Protect her." You nodded once, holding the quartz close to your chest. Jasper tsked, glaring at them before jumping onto the back of the corrupted gem, holding its hair in her hands like the reins of a saddled horse.
    "Head to head...just like I like it", the quartz soldier said.
    "Ready when you are!" Lion let out a loud roar as he charged at Jasper, bumping heads with the corrupted gem. Steven and Connie's fusion launched themselves into the air, tossing their shield at Jasper. The quartz caught it, only for it to disappear in her hands after Steven and Connie banged the sword against her helmet. Jasper's weight poofed the gem under her, leaving a cloud of dust. Amethyst's gem began to glow in your hands so you let it go, watching as it floated in the air in front of you.
    "Steven? Connie, I'm back! Everything's gonna be fi —", Amethyst said frantically before you placed your hand on her shoulder. You noticed that her outfit was different from before, consisting now of a white tank top, her original black tights, and dark grey boots instead of the white ones from before. She looked up at you and then over at the battle, the dust finally settling. Amethyst's eyes widened and her mouth fell open as she realized that the two were fine. "Stevonnie", she whispered, her shoulders slumping slightly. That must be the name of their fusion...
    "Fusion! Fusion! It's always fusion", Jasper yelled, glaring hatefully at Stevonnie.
    "Are you ready to apologize", they asked, pointing at her.
    "This...was just a warmup", Jasper started, backing away into the ocean with the corrupted gem held tightly in her right hand. "Get ready for next time, Rose", she warned, jutting her finger in they're direction. "Jaspers don't give up! Jaspers, keep going. Until we get what we want", she finished, submerging herself into the water completely. You sighed heavily, collapsing into the sand as if you were the one fighting. Amethyst made her way over to Stevonnie, the fusion obviously elated to see that she was okay. Light surrounded them, revealing Steven and Connie a moment later.
    "You're back", Steven exclaimed.
    "You're okay", Connie said next, popping up beside Steven.
    "Thank goodness", the young gem said, jumping up and latching his arms around Amethyst's neck. You chuckled quietly, petting Lion as he nudged his nose against your hand.
    "Uh...thank you guys", Amethyst said as Steven jumped off of her.
    "Did you see us", he asked excitedly.
    "It was just like you said! You were in trouble, and we just had to fight", Connie said with just as much enthusiasm.
    "Everything we knew just...came together!"
    "We fused", Connie shouted in disbelief, holding her head.
    "We won", Steven shouted back, jumping in the air. "I can't wait to tell the others!" The pair giggled, making their way down the beach most likely towards Steven's house.
    "Oh...good", Amethyst said in false excitement, sighing. "You didn't need me at all", she said softly, slowly making her way down the beach after them. You were about to follow her, but your (e/c) eyes caught sight of something strange happening in the water in front of you. You stood up, walking over to the oceanside slowly to investigate, your (h/l) hair swaying behind you in the light breeze. You crossed your arms tightly, rubbing them to chase away the goosebumps that had formed along the (s/c-t) limbs. You took a couple steps back, a gasp caught in your throat when a familiar hand clawed its way up the beach again. Jasper came back out of the water, her helmet still on her head as she chuckled. She stood in front of you in her full height, her piercing amber gaze meeting yours.
    "I had a feeling you'd still be on the beach...", she said softly, her lips forming a frown. You bit your bottom lip, looking away from the gem. "Look, (y/n)...I'm sorry", Jasper said with a sigh, gaining your attention again. "I should have told you about the corrupted gems I was collecting for my army. I just knew that you wouldn't approve of it, which is why I didn't say anything in the first place. You're sweet, and kind and you care about everything and everyone around you. I felt as though you were trying to convince me to get rid of my army because of the gems that make it up."
    "You're right", you said slowly, approaching the quartz soldier. "I don't approve. But I would have kept my word to you no matter what I thought. I told you that I wasn't going to stop you from building your army, and I was going to hold true to that", you said, resting your hands against Jasper's stomach. "When you were fighting", you started with a chuckle, looking up at the gem, "that was probably the second happiest I'd seen you ever."
    "And what was the first time", she asked, getting down on one knee so that the two of you were almost face to face.
    "When you were playing football with TJ", you said with a small smile, running your fingers through the strands of hair that had fallen over her shoulder. Jasper chuckled at your answer, looking down at the sand. "What are you going to do now?"
    "I'm going to prepare the rest of my army", the quartz answered with a shrug, looking back up at you. You nodded slowly, chewing on your bottom lip. "You know I really don't deserve you, right", Jasper said suddenly, phasing off her helmet. Your (e/c) eyes widened softly when her hair cascaded across her shoulders, falling into your hand. You buried your other hand into her hair, leaning against her.
    "I thought I told you that you deserve the world? I'm just a speck of dust that happens to be on it...I'm not worth anything."
    "The world is standing right in front of me, and I'm telling you I don't deserve it", Jasper said quietly, sitting down in the sand. She crisscrossed her legs, pulling you with her. You sat in the gem's lap, facing her still.
    "Smooth", you said giggling, tracing the yellow diamond in the middle of her uniform. "Are you going to come home with me now?"
    "I — can't."
    "Why not", you asked, your eyes meeting with hers again.
    "I don't want Rose bombarding you with questions of my whereabouts. It's better if I just...stay away from you so that neither of you know where I'm going or where I'll be."
    "But...", you said softly, your (e/c) eyes already beginning to sting. I've been crying so much lately, you mentally cursed yourself, swallowing the lump in your throat before speaking again. "What happened to the promise you made to me? You said that you wouldn't leave me, Jasper...a soldier's promise." The gem sighed, tightening her arms around you.
    "I know what I said shortcake, and I'm not breaking that promise. As cliché as it sounds, I won't truly be leaving you because I'll be here", she said, pointing to your head, "and here", Jasper finished, pointing to your chest where your heart would be. "Like I said, Jaspers don't stop until they get what they want. So trust me when I say this isn't the last you'll see of me." You chuckled quietly, resting your head against her chest as tears began to fall down your cheeks.
    "You sound like a cheap villain..." Jasper laughed, wiping your face free of tears with her thumbs.
    "Well, that's kind of what I was going for." She then sighed, kissing the top of your head. "I hate making you cry", she grumbled.
    "Then don't leave...", you said, kissing her lips.
    "Shortcake, you know I ha — ", the gem said once you pulled away for a moment, only to be cut off when you grabbed ahold of her uniform straps, pulling her down with you in the sand. The warm grains tickled your arms and the back of your neck as Jasper leaned over you, her arms on either side of your head.
    "You didn't let me finish. Yet. I was going to say don't leave yet", you whispered, pressing your lips to hers again. Jasper groaned into the kiss, swiftly sliding her hand against your side and partially up your shirt. You turned your head slightly, opening your mouth as you wrapped your arms around her neck. You smirked into the kiss, you being the one to win the fight for dominance for the first time. Jasper pressed herself in between your legs, her right hand clutching your thigh to keep your legs spread. You hummed, pulling away from the kiss as Jasper moved to your neck, biting down on your sweet spot harshly. You moaned, biting your lip as the gem chuckled, kissing the same place.
    "You're such a fucking tease", the quartz breathed, brushing her thumb across the thin material of your bra. You let out a light laugh as you sat up, kissing her again shortly.
    "Whatever it takes to keep you to myself for a little while longer", you whispered, kissing along her jawline. You trailed kisses down her neck, earning a groan from her at a spot just below her ear. "Oh, did I find a sweet spot", you asked with a chuckle, pulling the skin with your teeth. Jasper dug her claws into your thigh, making you mewl with excitement.
    "I have to admit, you almost had me there", the gem said before kissing you again. "But I really do have to go, shortcake."
    "Aw, so soon", you pouted, brushing your fingers over the hickey you had just made. The scarlet mark stood out like a sore thumb along the gem's orange skin, but her hair would cover it up.
    "Yes. You're a horrible distraction", she growled, standing to her feet. You giggled, sitting on her bicep comfortably. Jasper's hand rested against your back to keep you steady as she looked up at you, a small smirk across her lips.
    "Okay, fine. Be safe, okay? I love you", you said, leaning down and kissing her gem. The stone glowed brightly, a scarlet blush spreading across the soldier's cheeks as she stared back at you. "What?"
    "I told you not to say that", she whined, putting you back down on the sand and crossing her arms.
    "But I do though", you said, hugging her waist and pressing your face into her stomach. Jasper groaned, the blush on her face only getting darker as the sun went down behind the two of you. "You don't have to say it back if you aren't ready to. I just wanted you to know." The quartz pouted, hugging you back before she shapeshifted into a bird, resting on your shoulder.
    "I'll see you soon", she said, nuzzling your neck. You smiled softly as she took off, leaving you on the beach alone again. You sighed, going to grab your discarded bag on the sand before making your way back home.