Chapter 12: The special letter

"Lianna can you deliver these letters to Miss Scarlette?", said Caroline as she brought a few letters in her hands.

"Sure Caroline", said Lianna as she took the letters.

One letter especially caught Lianna's eye and she couldn't help but smile.

"Is it from someone special?", asked Caroline.

"Yes", said Lianna with a smirk.

Lianna went to Scarlette's bedroom to deliver the letters.

The sun was up but Scarlette was still in bed. Lianna pushed the curtains to let some sunlight in and woke Scarlette up.

"When will you wake up in time milady ?", nagged Lianna.

Scarlette was not fully awake yet and she rubbed her drowsy eyes trying to wake up.

It's been two years since Lianna came to the Rowan mansion and she has gotten used to being around Scarlette. 

Though Scarlette looked scary and more mature than other ladies her age, she still behaved like a child in some aspects.

Somewhere through the years, Scarlette started trusting Lianna more and Lianna became more confident in herself.

"You have received some letters", said Lianna as she handed them over to Scarlette.

"Why are giving them to me this early ?", asked Scarlette still half asleep.

"Because you have received a letter from a special someone", said Lianna sarcastically.

"Who-........ hmm, special indeed", said Scarlette with a devilish smile on her face as she saw the name on the letter.

Scarlette opened the letter and read its contents out loud.

[ Dear lady Scarlette,

The sun shines so brightly but my eyes are blinded by your beauty, I hope you are well for my heart can't seem to sit still. Whenever I see the night sky I am reminded of your silky ebony hair. Will there be a day when I can brush my hands against it ?

I am elated that the days are flying by because it means the day  we meet is coming closer. I am counting the days till our engagement. I hope you are too. 

I am constantly thinking about you and I know you are too. I shall soothe my heart till we meet.

Your sincerely,

Tristan Winteria.]

"Ugh........ what a greasy letter", said Scarlette with a face of disgust. Scarlette had goosebumps reading that letter.

"It seems everything is going smoothly", said Lianna.

"This is just the start. What comes after is more important", said Scarlette.

Lianna nodded back. It was true, this was just the start. It took them two years to get to this start so they have to be careful moving on.

"Burn this letter. I don't want to see it again", said Scarlette.

"As you wish milady", said Lianna as she took the letter in her hand. Lianna magically summoned fire in her palm and burned the letter till it vanished.

Getting Scarlette engaged to Tristan was difficult. 

During her previous life, since Lianna chose Christian's route Tristan was engaged to his childhood friend Rebecca Bonevell. Rebecca was very beautiful and was popular among other noble men.

But Rebecca had a longtime crush on Tristan so when she confessed, Tristan accepted her confession and they got married a year later Lianna's marriage.

Rebecca was quite devoted to Tristan but being the playboy that he was, he lost interest in Rebecca and started making advances towards Lianna. Because of that Rebecca started hating Lianna.

Even though Lianna and Rebecca were friends at first, their friendship soured and Rebecca started ignoring Lianna all because of Tristan.

But now, that path has been changed. 

Scarlette had to be married to the crown prince so she could become the empress after the coronation. So to do that she had to be engaged to Tristan who was the current crown prince of the kingdom.

Scarlette hated the fact of being engaged to Tristan but she had no other choice. If their plan had to succeed then she had to swallow her pride and become Tristan's fiance.

Scarlette spoke to her father about a political marriage between her and Tristan. First her father was shocked. He didn't want his daughter to be married to the family who killed her mother but Scarlette explained the benefits to this engagement.

There are two factions in the kingdom. One that supports the succession of the royal family and the other supports the Rowan family even though they withdrew from the succession battle.

The first faction has more number of nobles but the second faction has more powerful and influential people. There were several disputes among the nobles because of this and so if there is a political marriage between the two families, a neutral ground might be created.

The king was also in favor of this marriage because even though the real reason for Scarlette's mother's death was covered up , there was still a lot of people who suspected the royal family. 

So if the two heirs marry, that suspicion among the people might disappear and the royal family loses any risk of opposition from the faction that supports the Rowan family.

Scarlette's father Duke Rowan reluctantly agreed and hence the engagement between Scarlette and Tristan was fixed.

"Are you going to write a reply milady ?", asked Lianna.

"Should I ?", asked Scarlette sarcastically.

Lianna smiled as she wiped the ashes of Tristan's letter off of her hands.

End of chapter 12.

Thank you for reading this book up until now and hope you guys enjoyed this chapter.

Please show your support by reading and voting for each chapter and make sure to comment your suggestions or opinions so that I could improve the quality of the story.

Do look forward to the next chapter, chapter 13: Time flew by.

And check out my new books : "The lady butler and her handsome master" , "Behind the starlight" and "As sweet as a lemonade" !

See you guys next time!