chapter thirty-eight

season one ; episode nine { The Bell Tower }
chapter thirty-eight

THE POGUES ALL CRASHED IN the car that night, waking up the next morning with painful backs and stiff necks

THE POGUES ALL CRASHED IN the car that night, waking up the next morning with painful backs and stiff necks. Brooklyn was curled up in a ball with her head pressed against John B's arm and her legs were crossed with JJ's.

She was awoken when she heard the radio in the car say, "Good news for residents of Outer Banks. Dominion Power says their underwater transmission line, which will restore power to 90% of the area... should be functional within 24 hours." Brooklyn's head shot up when she heard the sirens of police cars passing by. "And still, no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin. The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from-." Kiara switched the radio off quickly.

"Let's game this out. Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but... who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us." JJ wasn't wrong, who would believe a bunch of teenagers who are from the wrong side of the island over a rich jerk from Figure Eight. "So the accuser is a bigshot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused... is John B, who is... pretty much a homeless sixteen-year-old boy at the moment."

"Thanks."

"Okay, man. Yucatan, all right? I'm saying that's the only option. What other option do you have?"

"Enough with the Mexico bullshit. Sarah will bail me out." John B told them like Sarah Cameron could do much seem as the accuser was her father.

"She did witness the whole thing."

"Thank you."

"And she's gonna snitch on her brother?" Pope did have a good point. Family or boyfriend?

Luckily, Brooklyn's boyfriend was family.

"Not happening, bro. Okay?" JJ blew a puff of smoke over in Brooklyn's direction which she wafted away. "We've gotta get you off the island."

"The ferry. It's the only way."

"Exit stage left while you still can. Before the entire island is on lockdown."

"Guys, just get down." Kiara warned as a few police cars passed them.

"Sarah's not a Pogue, John B."

"Yeah. You can't stay here, man." JJ leaned back and held his cigarette out for Brooklyn but she declined. She rested back against the seat and opened both her hands out for John B and JJ to take.