Ruth of Envy 01

The twenty-third day of spring
Dynasty of Ming

      Dear Father,

            It was a day where the snow was almost gone, resulting to a pleasant temperature, when I descended from the heavens. I couldn't help but wrap myself with my scrawny arms as I battled against the wind current. As I fell, I almost hit a flock of pelicans racing to the coast. Luckily, they avoided my figure which resulted to a peaceful flight.

Clumsy as I am, my steadiness faltered. A branch pulled the ends of my chiton, not letting me go until the branches of the pines played with me—scooping my clothes to stop me from landing straight to hard soil. How thankful I was that the branches were there to stop me. But in terms of being passed around like a ball, I would rather disagree since I almost vomited at the dizziness. In the end, I landed on a river and got my dress wet all over.

I was so frustrated that I chased a group of squirrels lurking at the riverbanks. And guess what? I was lost in a middle of nowhere and I have ventured a camp I do not know of! Those squirrels...I knew they were trouble. I should not have followed them into the depths of the forest.

And as I waited for minutes after minutes of wondering—the chirping of birds, humming of bees, and the crunchy sound from the branches—lowered my guard which I regret later on when voices replaced the serene sounds. I can still remember how I hid behind the trees, quivering in the cold when two figures came out of the shadows.

At first, you could have mistaken them as a human for they are nothing but a cluster of shadow, but how wrong I was when a howl came out of their mouths! Wolves...big wolves that can easily kill a mere mortal. The next second, the wolves are suddenly talking, laughing side by side with...a smile on their faces. I had to rub my eyes twice to see if they have really morphed into a human.

Who knows, you, father, might be playing a trick on me. If it is, it was downright cruel, for your little girl is still pure as her feathers. I know it was bad, but forgive me, I eavesdropped on their conversation. Same old, same old, it was just a regular conversation if you were born a werewolf. I could have been yawning and squirming my eyes if I am born with furs and not with feathers.

I came here because I thought that I am knowledgeable enough, but hearing about these traditions from the hybrids made me wonder...how much of the world have I not seen? Listening to their talk, my belief that being an Alpha is hereditary on the bloodline was ruined.

Turns out, the strongest of the pack shall prevail and the man who had his body chiselled so well was the next. And the girl right next to him was his destined Luna as she was the daughter of the current alpha. His future queen and the woman who would bear his heir.

While I cloak myself with the leaves, I could not help but marvel at their smiles and feel something I should not. It is a sin that an angel is not allowed to have. Humble Father, I must confess, it is envy that I feel. Through this letter, I hope my heart will be cleansed before it breaks the morals of the celestial realms.

And in this very day where the snow has vanished into thin air, but resulted to a higher tide, I flew back to the heavens with a wry smile and a heavy heart. Through this diary which was dedicated to you, my father, I pray to be guided into a better path, and shake off the sin that glimmered in my heart for a split second.

Love, Twayla
Your brightest star