Chapter V

What one didn't know, couldn't hurt them. This phrase, Sasuke decided, applied to most situations when not knowing something was a key factor. For instance, ever since he'd found out the previous night that Naruto might, probably, sort of, kinda, potentially had a crush on him Sasuke was completely out of it. All of the things Naruto did around him Sasuke had been passing off as childish affection. But more and more, when Naruto would tackle him, he would hold on as long as he could, as though his life depended on it. Earlier in the game he had only held on for as long as it took Sasuke to chuck him across the room or glare in a sufficiently frightening way. This was no longer the case. That, and Sasuke was finding it exceedingly difficult to say 'when'.

Currently, Sasuke was lying in Naruto's bed. He had his head propped up on the comfortable pillows while he watched Naruto draw at the end of the bed. Naruto had scampered over to his desk an hour or so ago and grabbed a clipboard, some blank paper and crayons. Then he'd made himself suitably entangled in Sasuke's calves and ankles and begun to draw peacefully with only the occasional humming. Meanwhile, a half used coloring book had been shoved Sasuke's way, along with some of Naruto's crayons that he didn't entirely like the color of. They'd both reached that peaceful slump in the day where neither of them was up for playing anything or talking. So they would settle comfortably together on the bed and color, or nap. At the moment they were coloring.

The one thing that was taking up a good deal of space in Sasuke's mind besides Naruto's possible crush on him was exactly what Naruto was remembering. With very little planning or consideration of consequences, Sasuke had hiked the remembering process into high gear, and so naturally Naruto had been recalling a great deal in his usual abstract way. However, what Sasuke hadn't planned for, was Naruto remembering things that were less than pleasant. Naruto was beginning to recover his memories of being an outcast, of having no parents and living alone. Images of jeering faces, and cruel children on the playground were becoming common for Naruto to suddenly think of. Sasuke worried at any moment that Naruto would remember something particularly horrific, like a previous injury or some extremely unkind words. So, he'd made sure that today he would not purposefully call forth any memories whatsoever, and that they would have a calm lazy day.

Sasuke knew that eventually he would have to allow Naruto to remember everything, for that was the only way that the old Naruto would truly come back. But, for now, Sasuke wanted to protect the mentally seven year old boy for as long as possible. That, also, was another issue. Sasuke was sure that Naruto was no longer mentally seven, and perhaps had aged a few years. There were a great deal of his habits and mannerisms that were still decidedly seven, but certain comments would suddenly blurt out of his mouth that had Sasuke wondering. He seemed extremely more mature in some ways, and exceptionally immature in others. It was confusing and worrisome. Sasuke was never sure what he could or couldn't say. Naruto seemed to sense Sasuke's staring for he casually glanced up at him and smiled. Sasuke smiled back and poked Naruto in the neck with one foot when he'd tried to tickle him. But when Sasuke saw Naruto carefully set his clipboard and crayons on the floor, he knew what game was approaching him. In preparation, Sasuke too set his coloring instruments aside and braced himself for Naruto's eventual assault.

Naruto peeled one of Sasuke's socks off his feet with surprising speed and latched onto his ankle. Then, Sasuke was subjected to expert tickling and he writhed around on the bed, trying to hold in his laughter. But of course it was no use, in a very un-Uchiha-like way he crowed with laughter trying to gain the upper hand and get Naruto away from his sensitive feet. Soon enough Sasuke managed to yank Naruto up towards him and pin him to the bed. He locked Naruto's leg straight and breezed his fingers gently over the back of Naruto's knees, earning squeals and giggles out of the blonde who wriggled in Sasuke's hold. When Naruto managed to jerk free from Sasuke's grip, he began to scoot away to get his breath. But after several times of playing this game Sasuke was an expert, he grabbed Naruto, pinned him down and planted a well-executed raspberry on Naruto's bared hip. But, while playing this sort of game, one's brain begins to act slower than the rest of the body. So, of course, Sasuke only realized his great error in judgment after he'd already lifted up Naruto's shirt a bit more and had his tongue partially out of his mouth.