14

"Crap! Crap! Crap! Why didn't he wake me up, that ass!" Chura groans as she runs through the streets, at the same time trying to eat her steamed bun.
Her phone rings and she groans, holding the bun in her mouth and she struggles to get the phone from her pocket. Once she has it, she answers it and places it on her ear, quickly taking the steam bun out of her mouth.
"Hewwo?" She answers with her mouth stuffed.
"Chura? Why do you sound so out of breath? Where are you?! Are you eating?" Hinata freaks out from the other side of the line.
"My ass of a brother decided not to wake me up so now I'm literally running at full speed from the train station. I should be there in..." She looks at her watch, "seven minutes... Hopefully."
"Koushi! Why would you just leave Chura to sleep when we have games today?!" She can hear Noya scream in the back.
"Koushi says he's sorry and that he'll explain later." Hinata informs.
"Alright. Where are you guys- oh sorry, mister!" She squeaks as she turns the corner.
"Geez. You're sprinting at full speed, huh? You must not be used to having to run this much, am I right, your highness?" Tsukishima snickers.
"Kei, you punk! Oh shit-" she almost drops her food but catches it, "Once I get my hands on you I'm gonna choke you to death!"
"Now now, Chu! Calm down. Focus on the path you're running!" Daichi scolds.
"Yes..." she mutters, her shoes squeaking against the floor as she avoids ramming into a pole, "God why does the streets have to be so crowded today?!"
"Please be careful, Chu!" Asahi squeaks.
"Guys, hang up so she's not talking and running at the same time." Ennoshita says.
"Alright! We'll see you here! Bye, Chura~!" Hinata shouts.
"Bye!"
"Be safe!"
"See you soon!"
Chura smiles as she hangs up. As much as she is angry at her brother, she has an idea why he didn't wake her up. She takes a deep breath, now focusing on the path in front of her. She should only be three minutes away now. Why did the nearest train station have to be so far from the venue?!
Finally, the building comes into view. She runs inside, the air conditioner feeling great against her skin. She looks around, trying to spot the black jackets. She's about to reach for her phone when she hears something running towards her.
"Chura!" Tanaka and Noya tackle her to the ground, causing the people around them to look at them oddly.
"Guys! I can't breathe!" She groans, panting from the running still.
"Oops! Sorry! Oh, you can have some of my water! Let's go back to the others so I can give it to you." Noya smiles as they help her up.
"Thanks, Yu. That's so sweet of you." She smiles, hugging his arm.
"N-no problem!" His cheeks redden.
"Oh! Chura, you missed Hinata's barf situation again! It was crazy! He didn't toss up on me this time so I was surprised!" Tanaka exclaims.
"Ew, I'm glad I didn't see that." Chura laughs.
"Who is that girl?"
"She's gorgeous!"
"Is she a manager? For what school?"
"Karasuno? Oh, I heard they went head to head with Aoba Johsai in straight sets during Inter High!"
"Amazing! And their managers are so pretty. It's like a dream~"
Noya and Tanaka start circling around Chura, giving off a dark aura as they stare at the boys who are talking. Chura blinks in confusion but laughs at their behavior.
"Boys! Come on-" she almost trips from her head spinning.
"Whoa! Are you okay, Chura?" Tanaka frowns when they catch her by the arms.
"Y-yeah. Sorry... I just need to drink water. That's all." She takes a deep breath, smiling softly at them.
"We're almost there. They're just around the corner." Noya informs, holding her tightly.
They walk around the corner to see the boys look at them as soon as they come into view. Everyone cheers in excitement, making Chura giggle.
"Chura!-"
"Hold on, Hinata. What's wrong? Why're they holding you like that?" Koushi rushes up to her, grabbing onto her cheeks but almost immediately retracting them, "Holy crap you're burning up!"
"I was dizzy so they were holding me to make sure I don't faint. I'm probably warm just from the heat I was running in, ni. I just need to sit in the cool air and drink water. I assure you I'm fine." Chura licks her lips, taking a seat next to Yamaguchi and Tsukishima who're right next to where she was standing.
"Here's the water, Chura." Noya hands her his bottle, making her bow slightly.
"Thank you so much." She downs the bottle instantly.
"I think I need to refill my bottle." Noya laughs, taking it from her once it's done.
"Noya! Do you realize what you just did?! You had an indirect kiss with Chura!" Tanaka exclaims, placing his hands on Noya's shoulders as he looks at him in awe.
"I'm never washing this." Noya's eyes sparkle as they two start praising the bottle.
"Honestly, I'm used to this, whatever it is, by now, but it's still weird to witness." Chura mumbles, holding back a laugh.
"Here, Chura." Yamaguchi whispers, handing her something.
Chura looks down to see it's an orange. She looks at him in confusion but he only smiles in response.
"You must've woken up without properly eating, right? Here's something small for now to hold you off."
"A-are you sure? Don't you need it to stay energized?" She blinks at him.
"It's not like I'm in the starting lineup anyways. I don't need it as much."
"Yams..." She frowns.
"Don't worry about me. I'm more worried about you fainting if you're not eating and staying hydrated." He gives an eye smile.
"You're a sweetheart. Thank you." She squeezes his hand before peeling the orange.
"Chura! Here! You're dripping with sweat so I figured you'd need a towel!" Hinata holds a rag out for her.
"Ew, I didn't realize how sweaty I am. Great, I probably look horrid. How embarrassing." She covers her face in the towel.
"You don't look horrid." The voice makes Chura freeze.
She slowly lowers the towel off her face and looks at the source. Kageyama doesn't look directly at her but his eyes glance at her from the side. He looks away almost immediately but the small interaction makes Chura's heart soar. Is he finally starting to open back up to her?
"He'd never admit it to you, but he was worried about you when he heard you woke up late and right now when you said you were dizzy. This is Kageyama's towel." Hinata whispers.
Chura's face is full of shock and the blood rushes to her face. She hides her face in the towel, pretending to still wipe the sweat.
"Is your heart beating for the king, princess?" She can hear Tsukishima's voice teasing her.
"Kei!" She starts to pounce but Yamaguchi and Hinata hold her back.
"Guys, the first game is about to end. Let's get going." Daichi announces.
"Yes!" They stand up, cleaning up their belongings.
"Will you be fine, Chu?" Koushi walks up to her with a concerned expression.
"Yes, I'll be okay." She looks at the boys, "I can't be on the court since there's only one manager at a time, but I know you can do it! We're going to nationals, but this is only the beginning. Go out there and take the first step to the top!" Chura points to the ceiling.
The boys' blood starts pumping with excitement. They point to the ceiling with bright smiles.
"Yeah!" They cheer.
"Come on, Chura. Let's go up to the second level so we can see them." Yachi nods to follow her.
~
The first match of the day for Karasuno was against a team named Ohgi Minami High. The match wasn't all that exciting. It got more exciting towards the end when the other team's old captain appeared and encouraged them to keep trying. That made Chura smile. That's what a captain should be like.
After the game ends with Karasuno winning, the first thing Chura does isn't go to congratulate her team, she goes to find that captain. She runs as soon as she notices him leaving, taking off without informing Yachi.
"W-wait! Chura!" Yachi calls after her but doesn't follow.
Chura looks both directions as she halts in her step. They must be on the other side. She hopes she didn't miss him. Rounding a few corners, she finally reaches their team just as he finishes talking to them. The boy nods at the team before turning to walk away. He stops when he sees Chura, staring at him with a huge smile. His cheeks redden instantly as she rushes up to him and grabs his hands.
"Hi! Um, you don't know me but I'm one of the managers from Karasuno, the team Ohgi Minami just went against. My name is Chura Sugawara." She begins, looking back at the team who is looking at her in confusion.
"O-oh? M-my name is N-Noboru Akimiya. H-how come you're h-here?" He stutters.
"I wanted to thank you." She smiles, "I've been on a team where the former captains wouldn't give two shits about their juniors. Giving those boys encouragement, even though it was during the last part of the game, is really really amazing. Even though they lost, I'm sure their adrenaline is finally pumping, wanting to win in the future. Am I right?" She smiles at the team, causing their faces to heat up.
"I-I-"
"Thank you." She bows, making the ex-captain squeal in panic, "I know it's not my team or my place to say this, but I'd be so thankful if I had had a senior like you."
He starts malfunctioning, speaking gibberish that Chura can't understand. Chura lets go of him, starting to panic as well. Luckily, the captains of her team find her, coming to the rescue. Daichi places a hand on her shoulder, giving off a scary smile as he looks at her. She tenses when her brother wraps an arm around her shoulders, shaking his head.
"We can't leave you for more than ten minutes, can we, Chu?" Koushi ruffles her hair.
"Ni! You're messing up my hair!" She pouts, making him laugh.
"We are very sorry if she caused you any trouble! She tends to do things without realizing the effects!" Daichi apologizes, bowing slightly to both the ex-captain and the team they just went against.
"No! I-it's alright! We d-don't mind." Akimiya scratches the back of his neck with a nervous smile, "It was very nice to meet you, Sugawara-chan."
"Just call me Chura! I hope to see you again!" She smiles brightly, soon being tossed over Daichi's shoulder, "H-hey! I was talking to my new friend!" She complains.
"Thanks for the game again!" Koushi smiles, waving as they walk back to their own team.
"Goodbye, Aki~" Chura waves happily to the boy as well as the team.
"I'm so confused right now..." Akimiya blinks as he waves back.
"She was cute, eh?" Yoshiki Towada, the current captain of Ohgi Minami, smirks, nudging his senior.
The rest of the team rushes up to Akimiya and teases him, the said boy's face flushed in embarrassment. Chura dangles herself over Daichi's shoulder like a sand bag. She groans from her position, causing Daichi to finally set her back onto the ground. She crosses her arms with a pout as she looks at her brother and his best friend.
"Why did you pull me away from him? I was complimenting him!" She huffs.
"Next time you run off like that, please make sure someone else is with you. It's fine if you want to do that but not by yourself." Daichi scolds.
"Okay..." she drops her shoulders in disappointment.
"The boys immediately went to look for you after the win so you better go apologize to them. They were disappointed to see you weren't waiting for us with Yachi." Koushi informs her, poking her nose to cheer her up.
"Oh shoot! Let's go!" She rushes to where the others are, engulfing the nearest boy in a hug.
"Oof! Oh! Chura! Where have you been?!" Hinata laughs, hugging her back.
"Sorry! There was something important I had to do." Chura squats down beside the boy and looks where the rest of the team is watching, "What're you guys looking at?"
"You don't see the giant guy?!" Tanaka squeaks as he chomps on his banana.
Chura looks back at the court and her eyes widen at the sight.
"Oh shit."
"Language." Koushi chops her head.
"Ouch! Ni!" She groans, rubbing her head with a glare.
Yachi and Hinata quiver in fear as they watch him barely jump off the ground to fully block the other team's hits.
"Geez..." Chura whispers, her face grimacing as she thinks how they're going to do against him.
Their game ends and they walk through the doors Karasuno is observing from. The giant boy looks down at Hinata and Chura with a scary expression, causing them both to make an inhuman noise. He continues on his way along with the rest of the team but the two continue craning their necks to the ceiling just to look at him.
"I feel like an ant beside him." Chura groans.
"He's over two meters tall." Yamaguchi informs Chura, making her eyes widen.
"Oh fu- I mean crap." She laughs nervously as Daichi and Koushi eye her.
"That's a thirty-eight centimeter difference." Tsukishima points out.
"Thirty-eight centimeters? That's only about the same size as Hiya Kitty! It's not that much!" Yachi attempts to help Hinata's situation.
"Yachi, sweetie, I love you but that's not helping." Chura giggles, squishing the blonde's cheeks together.
"Tikachu is supposed to be about thirty-eight centimeters too." Yamaguchi sweats as he seriously thinks, making Chura laugh at his comment.
"Same as a black belly lantern shark." Tsukishima adds.
"Oh! You're right!" Chura snaps, gasping and pointing at the blonde.
Yachi and Yamaguchi engage in their own conversation with Tsukishima. Chura is about to join until she realizes Hinata's down aura. Chura frowns at the sight that this sunshine of a boy isn't smiling.
"I wish I could mend with a black belly lantern shark." He whispers.
"Huh?" Kageyama, who is on the other side of Hinata, and Chura tilt their heads at the ginger.
"If I could mend with a black belly lantern shark, then I'd be two meters." Hinata sighs.
"Did you hit your head on something?" Kageyama furrows his eyebrows, causing Hinata to become speechless, "What... don't tell me you're actually afraid of that guy?!"
Chura smiles at the two. Though Kageyama's words seem harsh, she knows that's his way of encouraging the ginger. Chura throws her arms around the ginger and rubs her cheek against his.
"Hey!" He laughs at her affection, squinting one eye as he hugs her back.
"You've got this, pumpkin! If anyone can surpass him, it's Shoyo Hinata." She squeezes him tighter.
"...she's right." Kageyama nods before walking away just as the whistle goes off to start their game.
"We have to go now! Chura, don't run off this time!" Noya hugs her waist tightly.
"Alright! I promise I'll come straight to you guys after." She ruffles his hair.
"Lets go." Daichi says, walking onto the court with the rest of the team following close behind.
~
"YES! THAT'S MY BOYS!" Chura jumps on Tsukishima's back, "You did amazing out there!"
"Get off." He groans.
"What is it, Hinata?" Yachi asks as they descend the stairs.
"We won, so we're going to the qualifiers. And that means we're on the same field as the Great King and Ushiwaka Japan!"
"Who and who?" Chura tilts her head in confusion.
"Oh that's right. Chura and Yachi don't know about them since they weren't here yet." Ennoshita makes an 'o' shape with his mouth.
"Oh!" Hinata yells, making Yachi jump, "I forgot my lunchbox!" He starts running back up the stairs.
Chura shakes her head at the boy with a smile.
"I'm gonna follow him just in case he does something stupid." Chura rushes after him.
"Does she realize that she also does stupid things?" Tsukishima tsks.
"She's been hanging out with Hinata too much, that's why." Yamaguchi chuckles.
"Hinata!" Chura runs to catch up to him, "Wait up!"
"Oh? Sorry, Chura! I didn't realize you were following me!"
"Just wanted to keep you company." She hooks arms with him.
Chura and Hinata freeze when they see two boys flirting with Kiyoko, Kiyoko backed into a wall. She doesn't look frightened, more like annoyed that she can't get out of the situation. Hinata tenses, racking his brain on what to do. Chura is about to step in when Hinata jumps in front of Kiyoko, surprising both girls. He tries pushing Kiyoko to the exit but the blonde grabs him and tosses him to the side like nothing. Chura shakes her head, knowing she has to intervene now. She steps towards them once again but Hinata springs in between the two to block him from stepping any closer to Kiyoko.
"EXCUSE ME!" Hinata screams, scaring the blonde.
Hinata starts rambling something about Kiyoko and the blonde seems interested that they're from Karasuno. Chura takes this time to walk up to them, pushing Kiyoko behind them so there's at least two against one. The blonde does a double take at the grey haired girl, suddenly ignoring both of her teammates and focusing on her. Chura also has to do a double take. They lean towards each other, tilting their heads as they look at each other. Realization hits them and they gasp, scooting back in shock.
"Sugawara-chan!"
"Terushima!"
Everyone blinks in confusion, staring at the two who now have red cheeks.
"H-hey. You got h-hot." They speak at the same time.
"Chura!" Hinata and Kiyoko look at the grey haired girl with wide eyes, obviously surprised by her words.
"How do you know this dude?" Hinata scrunches his nose in disgust.
"We, um, went to elementary school together." Chura purses her lips, looking away.
'Gosh, his glow up is surreal.' Her cheeks flush.
"It's been a while, Chu~ Are you finally gonna let me steal a kiss?" He leans closer to her so their noses touch.
"As if." She pokes his forehead, pushing him back.
"How about I get one when we beat your team?" He smirks, his hands on his hips as he scoots closer.
"HA! In your dreams. We'll win, just watch, Yuji." She growls.
"Are you guys rivals or something?" Hinata asks.
"I guess you can say that." Chura shrugs, leading her teammates away, "Be prepared to lose!" She salutes the blonde before speed walking to the exit.
When they arrive back with the others in front of the venue, they greet the trio with delight. Chura immediately walks up to her brother with a stone expression. She looks at him with an annoyed expression, making him raise an eyebrow.
"What happened?" He asks, Daichi also looking at her with confusion.
"Look." She points towards the doors they just exited just as Terushima and the other boy walk out.
Daichi and Terushima catch eyes, the blonde smirking at Karasuno's captain as they walk by. Koushi's jaw drops as his eyes follow the blonde. He looks back at Chura, who's fists are balled in anger.
"What happened-"
"HE GOT HOT THAT'S WHAT HAPPENED!" Chura immediately covers her mouth with wide eyes.
"And she blurts what she thinks again." Daichi laughs.
"Why does he have to come back into my life now when I like Kageyama?" Chura pulls her cheeks down.
"WHAT?! YOU LIKE KAG-" Chura covers Hinata's mouth immediately.
"Do not tell anyone especially him!" Chura warns.
Hinata says something behind her hand, making her raise an eyebrow.
"What?" She asks, removing her hand.
"I think you should tell him. I'm probably the closest to him and, in my opinion, I think he might like you." He states, "But you think you might catch feelings for the blonde guy?"
"Nah. It must be the shock of how hot he got. WHY DO I KEEP SAYING THAT OUT LOUD?!" She pulls at her hair.
"Whoa. Her highness is throwing a tantrum." Tsukishima smirks as he walks past the four.
"Kei!" She goes to choke him but her brother holds her back.
"For the nth time, please stop trying to kill him." He sighs, almost painfully.
"But I-" Chura's phone buzzes, making her groan.
As soon as she sees who the text is from, she's about to throw her phone but decides not to. She takes a deep breath before putting on a smile and looking at the boys. They all stare at her in confusion, trying to find the words to say but nothing comes out.
"Let's head home now! I'm starving! Let's get some food!" Chura cheers, causing the energetic second year duo to join with her.
"I hope you're paying!" Koushi yells as she rushes to the bus with the two.
"Yeah right!" She shouts back.
"She'll pay for herself then. And to think I was going to pay for her meal." Koushi clicks his tongue.
"I'll pay then." Daichi laughs, making Koushi give him that look, "I SWEAR I DON'T ANYMORE!"